Indian Citizenship For US Born Child

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by newacct View Post
    I am not sure what are the requirements for naturalization in India. It probably can only be done as an adult but I am not sure. But the point is, if the child loses Indian citizenship, they must go through naturalization.

But the child can be an Indian citizen at birth (in addition to being US citizen) as long as the child is registered at a consulate within 1 year of birth and does not get a foreign passport. If you want the child to be an Indian citizen, that would be the way to go.

A young child cannot lose US citizenship. US citizenship can only be lost voluntarily, and a young child does not have the maturity and understanding to have voluntary intent apart from their parent's intent. A child has to be at least 16 to maybe considered to have intent to renounce, and even then the officer will pay attention to whether the child is acting voluntarily.

But again, why bother with all of this? The child can be an Indian citizen at birth, and continue to be an Indian citizen, without dealing with any of this, as long as they do not get a foreign passport.

Understood. Thanks a lot for your all your valuable time & suggestions!!!

Comment

Need help to get Indian citizenship for US born baby

Hi,

i was confused and posting the below question. Please excuse me, in case of asking the same question again.

1) if i want to get Indian citizenship for US born baby. do i need to apply for Indian Passport only?
      2) If a child has Indain Passport, is he or she an Indian citizen? or NRI in India?
      3) If a child has Indian Passport with the place of birth in USA in the passport will there be any immigration issues in USA.
      4) If we can get Indian passport, does he/she need to obtain a visa for our rest of the stay in USA?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by tsak View Post
        Hi,

i was confused and posting the below question. Please excuse me, in case of asking the same question again.

1) if i want to get Indian citizenship for US born baby. do i need to apply for Indian Passport only?
        2) If a child has Indain Passport, is he or she an Indian citizen? or NRI in India?
        3) If a child has Indian Passport with the place of birth in USA in the passport will there be any immigration issues in USA.
        4) If we can get Indian passport, does he/she need to obtain a visa for our rest of the stay in USA?

Thanks in advance!
        1. To get Indian citizenship, you register the child at an Indian consulate within 1 year of birth, declaring that the child does not have a non-Indian passport. Then you can apply for the child's Indian passport.
        2. Indian citizen
        3. The child is a US citizen. The main issue is that if the child leave the US and later wants to return to the US, the child will have trouble boarding a flight to the US without a US passport. And getting a US passport may lead the Indian government to determine that the child lost Indian citizenship.
        4. The child is a US citizen, and can stay in the US without restriction. A US citizen cannot get a US visa

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

Hi,

Need help to get Indian citizenship for US born baby.

1) I am currently in USA and trying to apply for Indian passport for my child born (in July 2019) in USA
          2) I have not applied for US password yet
          3) I registered my child's birth at Indian consulate within 1 year. Please note I submitted a letter stating that we have not neither applied nor obtained passport of any other country to Indian consulate along with birth certificate that we received from US
          4) I received a birth certificate from Indian consulate
          4) Then, I applied for Indian Passport with CKGS
          5) CKGS is now asking for a notarized letter from both the parents (me and my wife) explaining that my child will not acquire any other country's citizenship until my child attains full age (i.e. 18 year old).

Has anyone received such requirement from CKGS? Do you have any sample letter that need to be submitted to CKGS?

Thanks in advance.

Comment

How much time it would take to get Indian passport for Us born child to return back India during the Covid situation..
            If anybody has any recent experience please share..
            It would be helpful
            Thank You

Comment

I have the Indian Passport for my US born kid, I did it on purpose thinking I will not return back to US.
              Now I want to travel to US so I like to know what is my option ?
              How do I get US passport or Visa for my kid ? which one is applicable ?
              In case I have to apply for US passport how do I maintain legal status of the Kid in India until I travel to US ?

Comment

Hello All,

Did anyone face issue in getting H4 dependent visa for US born kid (holding an Indian passport)?

Regards
                DJ

Comment

Hello All,

Did anyone in the group have got H4 visa stamped for US born kid holding an Indian passport? Please share your experience...

Regards
                  DJ

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X