X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Indian Passport for US born Child

Originally posted by karthisekar82 View Post
    Hi Shashank,

We are also expecting child in July. and i am planning to get indian Citizenship.

in this conversation some people are saying , if we are going back to india and we want to come back to US with child on Dependant Visa(H4), US embassy will not stamp on Indian passport, since the child born in US. did you heard anything like this?

Thanks in Advance.

Thanks
    Karthika K
    Mobile : 475 204 7243
    Hi Shashank,

I am also applying for indian passport for my child and to register his birth i need below documents sample. Could you please provide me the same.

1. a joint affidavit with the declaration that they have not obtained Passport of any other nationality, for the child
    2. Notarized declaration of both parents that they have not taken any other nationality for the child.

Regards,
    Munish Dubey
    269-365-4915

Comment

Indian passport for US born child

Originally posted by prabhakar1983 View Post
      I got a Indian passport for my child who was born in USA. He went to India, got L2 stamped, and returned back to USA a month back.
      Hi Prabhakar,

Could you please provide me below affidavit sample to register birth in indian consulate

1. a joint affidavit with the declaration that they have not obtained Passport of any other nationality, for the child
      2. Notarized declaration of both parents that they have not taken any other nationality for the child

Regards.
      Munish Dubey
      269-365-4915

Comment

Let's Get Together

Even I am going to get Indian PP for the baby. We need to be in touch with each other via emails to share the information.

Please send me message and I will add everyone into group, so we can share information with each other

Comment

Originally posted by Munishdubey View Post
          Hi Prabhakar,

Could you please provide me below affidavit sample to register birth in indian consulate

2. Notarized declaration of both parents that they have not taken any other nationality for the child

Regards.
          Munish Dubey
          269-365-4915

HI

I think 1 and 2 are same documents and you will get that automatically when you fill and print the application on MHA website. And you need to take that to consulate. (If you dont then let me know and i will provide you link for that)

I learnt that not all consulate website has updated process listed on the website.

In short

1. You submit online application at MHA website and Print it. (http://indiancitizenshiponline.nic.i...rm_public.aspx [section 4(1)] - read generel instructions there)
          2. Apply for birth registration at nearest consulate (follow steps provided on website) and take the print out of the application from MHA website along. Consulate will issue birth registration(citizenship) document/certificate
          3. Use this document/certificate to apply for passport and cox and king. [https://passport.in.ckgs.us/?track=g...cMbgQod5i0Cwg]

Thanks
          Last edited by cyber_007a; 05-22-2016, 03:02 PM.

Comment

Education after 18

If one opt for Indian PP now then Indian Government wants these kids renounce their foreign nationality when they are 18 in order to continue as Indian Citizen. In short 2 options at 18 (1) Continue as Indian Citizen by renouncing US Citizenship OR (2) Get USA Passport and Surrender Indian PP/Citizenship (And apply OCI)

If Child gets Indian PP now and he/she decided to take US Citizenship at 18 then child still will need to be educated under NRI Quota ? As Higher Education will start after 18 only ?
            Last edited by cyber_007a; 06-16-2016, 10:30 AM.

Comment

US Born Child to Indian Parents

I would like to state that I have been working in USA on H1B Visa for the last 2 years. On January 2016, i was blessed a baby boy in New York. I registered his name at the Indian Consulate and obtained Indian Passport for him. However, while I was applying for US Visa for him as we wish to take him India for his ritual ceremonies and then come back to the USA, I received a letter from US Authorities that my son cannot be granted US Visa as he is by default a US Citizen as per the US citizenship Act. And I have been advised to take him US Passport.
              Now, I am afraid that whether my son (6 months) can have two passports as I do not want to lose his Indian citizenship. Grateful for your suggestions/comments..!!

Regards,
              Himanshu

Comment

Originally posted by hmnsh View Post
                I would like to state that I have been working in USA on H1B Visa for the last 2 years. On January 2016, i was blessed a baby boy in New York. I registered his name at the Indian Consulate and obtained Indian Passport for him. However, while I was applying for US Visa for him as we wish to take him India for his ritual ceremonies and then come back to the USA, I received a letter from US Authorities that my son cannot be granted US Visa as he is by default a US Citizen as per the US citizenship Act. And I have been advised to take him US Passport.
                Now, I am afraid that whether my son (6 months) can have two passports as I do not want to lose his Indian citizenship. Grateful for your suggestions/comments..!!

Regards,
                Himanshu

@Himanshu - I think you took decision before analyzing your complete situation. If you are going to India and not looking to come back then Indian PP is advised else US PP + OCI.

Are you already in India now ? If you are still in USA, I think you can get US PP and apply for Visa / OCI. (You must surrender Indian PP tho)

Comment

@Himanshu - Can you please share your experience with this situation ? How you had to handle this

Originally posted by cyber_007a View Post
                  @Himanshu - I think you took decision before analyzing your complete situation. If you are going to India and not looking to come back then Indian PP is advised else US PP + OCI.

Are you already in India now ? If you are still in USA, I think you can get US PP and apply for Visa / OCI. (You must surrender Indian PP tho)

Comment

Us born baby with Indian passport - continuing in US

Originally posted by cyber_007a View Post

Hi himanshu - apparently I may get into the same situation. Pls share ur experience on how did you handle it.

Comment

Hi himanshu - apparently I may get into the same situation. Pls share ur experience on how did you handle it.[/QUOTE]

Hello,

Can any of you please share your experience of getting USA Visa with Indian passport for USA born kid. I am curious to know about the procedure of getting H4 visa for USA born kid having Indian passport.

Thanks!

Comment

Which 2 options correct ?

Which of the below 2 options correct ? Please confirm.

"The bottom line is that after going to India, you can always register your child and get citizenship. However, If your child wishes, on reaching age 18, can relinquish the Indian citizenship and become US citizen."

with this it means we can apply for child's indian citizenship even before the child turns 18 ? Please clarify.

"If you apply for US passport instead, you have given up Indian citizenship for your child and the child will not be able to get that back until he/she turns 18 as India would require him to renounce his US citizenship and that is not possible before the child turns 18."

This means, child cannot get Indian citizenship before it turns 18 ? Please clarify.

Comment

1. You can apply for Indian Passport now and once the child becomes 18 he/she can decide if they would rather be a US citizen or an Indian citizen

2. You can apply for a US Passport now and once the child becomes 18 he/she can decide if they would rather be a US citizen or an Indian citizen

Once the child turns 18 and makes a decision he/she may have to renounce the citizenship that was chosen for them. India does not allow Dual citizenship.
                          Just my opinion... Use at your own risk...

Comment

Originally posted by arunchennai View Post
                            "The bottom line is that after going to India, you can always register your child and get citizenship. However, If your child wishes, on reaching age 18, can relinquish the Indian citizenship and become US citizen."
                            This is not correct. To be an Indian citizen by descent, the child must be registered at an Indian consulate abroad (i.e. in the US) within 1 year of birth and with the declaration that the child does not hold a foreign passport. The child cannot do this later "after going to India" because that would mean they would have to travel to India on a foreign passport, and India regards that getting a foreign passport causes loss of Indian citizenship. The child must travel to India (or anywhere else) on an Indian passport.

with this it means we can apply for child's indian citizenship even before the child turns 18 ? Please clarify.
                            Yes, but as I said above, only within 1 year of birth, in the US before going to India.

"If you apply for US passport instead, you have given up Indian citizenship for your child and the child will not be able to get that back until he/she turns 18 as India would require him to renounce his US citizenship and that is not possible before the child turns 18."
                            This is correct. Getting a US passport would cause loss of Indian citizenship.

This means, child cannot get Indian citizenship before it turns 18 ? Please clarify.
                            No. As I said above, the child is an Indian citizen if registered at an Indian consulate within 1 year of birth, with the declaration that the child does not hold a foreign passport. But getting a foreign passport (e.g. US passport) will cause the child to lose Indian citizenship. So the child cannot get a US passport if they want to have Indian citizenship, which may mean difficulty returning to the US after leaving, because the child is a US citizen, so can only use a US passport to enter the US (unless entering by land). If the child gets a US passport and thus loses Indian citizenship, they can only get Indian citizenship again by naturalization as an adult, which requires renouncing other nationalities; that's what the second part of that quote is saying.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

[/QUOTE] If the child gets a US passport and thus loses Indian citizenship, they can only get Indian citizenship again by naturalization as an adult, which requires renouncing other nationalities; that's what the second part of that quote is saying.[/QUOTE]

1. Does the above sentence meant to say that if the Indian born child in US get US passport + OCI card & if the child settle back in India after sometime then the child need to wait till 18 years to renounce the US passport to apply for an Indian citizen/passport if the child is willing for Indian citizenship ?
                              2. Can the child renounce the US passport & apply for Indian citizen/passport once the child reach Indian soil even before attaining 18 years ?
                              Please clarify.

Comment

If the child gets a US passport and thus loses Indian citizenship, they can only get Indian citizenship again by naturalization as an adult, which requires renouncing other nationalities; that's what the second part of that quote is saying.

1. Does the above sentence meant to say that if the Indian born child in US get US passport + OCI card & if the child settle back in India after sometime then the child need to wait till 18 years to renounce the US passport to apply for an Indian citizen/passport if the child is willing for Indian citizenship ?
                                I am not sure what are the requirements for naturalization in India. It probably can only be done as an adult but I am not sure. But the point is, if the child loses Indian citizenship, they must go through naturalization.

But the child can be an Indian citizen at birth (in addition to being US citizen) as long as the child is registered at a consulate within 1 year of birth and does not get a foreign passport. If you want the child to be an Indian citizen, that would be the way to go.

2. Can the child renounce the US passport & apply for Indian citizen/passport once the child reach Indian soil even before attaining 18 years ?
                                A young child cannot lose US citizenship. US citizenship can only be lost voluntarily, and a young child does not have the maturity and understanding to have voluntary intent apart from their parent's intent. A child has to be at least 16 to maybe considered to have intent to renounce, and even then the officer will pay attention to whether the child is acting voluntarily.

But again, why bother with all of this? The child can be an Indian citizen at birth, and continue to be an Indian citizen, without dealing with any of this, as long as they do not get a foreign passport.

This is my personal opinion and is not to be construed as legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                                X