Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change of Name on passport & US Visa

hello,

My name on my Indian passport is hetulkumar. I want to change it to "hetul".

I also have a valid US visa that has my name as hetulkumar.

I want to know if it would affect the US visa if i appear for a change in name? will it still be valid?

thanks
    hk

If you carry official name change papers (as it is just a variation of current name), the visa is valid till the expiry date after which you need to re-apply.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Hi,
      I'm kinda in the same boat as Hetul here -
      I need a new passport issued under another, legally changed name. First, the fruits of my research on the subject:

Not sure where you're based, Hetul, but all the Indian Consulates have pretty much the same process described above. Condensed version: You will need to make the change happen (advertise in a local paper here and in India, get original clippings of the paper, and sign a change of name affidavit and have it notarized here.) Then, you'll apply for a new passport with these pieces of evidence. When you apply for the new passport, you'll submit the old one to a consulate. They will cancel it, issue a new one, cancel the old one, and give you both back. All visas remain valid and are NOT cancelled. But you always need to travel with both passports. Warning: I've heard tell of it taking anywhere between 30-90 days for a foreign-issued India passport to be replaced in this manner.

Second, a question:

I've been trying to get this process started with the Consulate General of India at Houston. However, I've been able to talk to NO ONE there. I've been trying to call them/get in touch with them for days. The phones just keep ringing. Since I need to mail them my original passport, I'd like talk to someone there first and make sure they can process my case. Also to see if all my documents are in order. I've tried all four phone numbers given on their website. Just keeps ringing. No response to e-mail, messages.
      Does anyone know a good way to contact the consulate? Any numbers, extensions, suggestions?

Thanks!

-------------------------------
      Not legal advice, as I am not a lawyer. You will need to consult with one for legal advice.

Comment

mvydyana - YOU ...

... already have a post of your own, why are you hijacking someone else's post?

If you're in the same situation then just sit back and read the responses to this post but don't overlap your questions and issues on somebody else's.

Thank you for understanding.

Comment

Well, I had some additional information to offer on Hetul's question. Please see the link to the website I posted, and my summary of the information there. I thought this new content significantly contributed to the reply already posted, which does not source its information, and is not terribly detailed. Thought I'd fill in the blanks.
          While I was at it, I also thought I'd mention that I was in the same boat and requested information pertinent to the both of us, perhaps. Contact information/lack thereof of the consulate may be important to the previous poster if he ever wants to initiate the name change process. I do not believe this is unprecedented behaviour on forums, because several people with similar problems tend to post on the same thread. Am I incorrect?
          Apologies if I offended, but I don't think my post significantly distracted from the original subject.

Comment

Goodluck having someone pick up the phone. It is not even worth trying. Just go in person if it is close enough.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Change in surname

hey

I've got my US visa stamped, i would like to change my surname in my passport & visa. Is it possible?

Comment

Name Correction in US VISA

Hey!
                I could not get driver's licence becoz on my US visa, Whole of my name is put under surname and first name is FNU so, they can't really find me on system.
                But i have got my SSN and I94 with correct name. I have all my documents like I-20, certificates with my correct name.I don't know what to do to change my name on VISA. I am currently residing in US. Please help.

Comment

Change of name in New Passport, Valid US visa on Old Passport

My son and I live in India. My son has a valid US visa on his old passport. I am a single parent having sole custody of my son. His name has been changed on his new passport based on my divorce decree and an official name change in the newspapers and the government gazette.
                  We have already made a holiday to the US on our existing visas with his old passport.

We plan to make a holiday once again and am unsure if my son needs a new visa stamped on his new passport with the name change or will he be able to travel by attaching his old passport with his old name?

Please advise as I don't have too many weeks left before we travel. Highly appreciate your assistance.

Comment

Amy Dreams - How did you resolve your situation ?

Originally posted by amydream View Post
                    Hey!
                    I could not get driver's licence becoz on my US visa, Whole of my name is put under surname and first name is FNU so, they can't really find me on system.
                    But i have got my SSN and I94 with correct name. I have all my documents like I-20, certificates with my correct name.I don't know what to do to change my name on VISA. I am currently residing in US. Please help.
                    HI Amyderam .. looks like its long you have posted teh question .. how did you resolve your situation as i am currently in the same situation

Comment

Name Correction on Passport\Visa

Hi,

I am in H1b status in US.

My name in all documents till my Degree is like Thakur Ram Prakash

(actually my given name is Ram Prakash and surname is Thakur , BUT we keep use our surname as First name so the name comes as Thakur Ram Prakash in all my educational docs.)

But while applying for passport I should've mentioned as
                      Given Name -> Thakur Ram And
                      Surname-> Prakash to make the fist second and last name in sequence as--> Thakur Ram Prakash

Due to above mistake by passport has name: Ranjan Prakash Thakur
                      (given name: Ram Prakash & Surname: Thakur)

Hope I made my issue with name sequence clear above:

Now In US,
                      My passport\visa\SSN\US driving license\US bank account everywhere my passport name is followed.
                      which is Ram Prakash Thakur.

But in India
                      My all educational certificates and other Docs have name 'Thakur Ram Prakash'.

My passport is expiring in june 2015 and my visa in april 2012.I've got the H1B extension approval recently till march 2015.

Please advise; how should I approach to correct this name sequence issue.

The reason for my concern is ..when I'll return to India , then my US credentials will have different name than my Indian credentials..I am not sure what all issues can come up due to this..

Please let me know if more information is required.

Thanks for your help.
                      Last edited by greyhawk; 04-13-2012, 04:35 PM.

Comment

change of name on passport

i want to change my name on my passport ,my actual name is vinay kumar k s . But I have missed quoting my surname in the appln and nw in my passport initials are missing pls tell me what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by rksingh4 View Post
                          HI Amyderam .. looks like its long you have posted teh question .. how did you resolve your situation as i am currently in the same situation
                          Did you get the license yet? I am in the same situation too.

Comment

Change of Name in Passport, I have valid H1 Visa for U.S.A

Hi All,

I have valid H1 Visa, but I have not travelled to U.S, will be travelling in couple of months.

I need to change my Sur Name in my Passport, because in the Sur Name I have mentioned my Father Name along with my GrandFather Name, now I need to remove my GrandFather name because none of my documents have my GrandFather name. I have only my father name as Sur Name in all my documents.

Now If I change my Sur Name, I will be issued with new Passport and the old passport will be cancled which will have my Valid H1 Visa. Can you please tell me if I need to go for restamping of Visa if I change my Sur Name , since I have valid visa or is there any other process which I need to follow.

Thanks & Regards,
                            Sathish
                            Last edited by softsathishr; 02-11-2013, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yeshvsagar View Post
                              hey

I've got my US visa stamped, i would like to change my surname in my passport & visa. Is it possible?

Have you received a response on this query??

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X