OPT no job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OPT no job

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi everyone,

This is my first post.I will be graduating in Masters in MEchanical Engineering in March and I am already on OPT.Due to recession there are no jobs in mech. and also employers are not doing H1.Is it fine i file my H1 from a IT consultant and then if its approved I can transfer it to other company(Mechanical) once I get job?
    Curious to know.
    Also suggestions are welcome as to what I can do.

You are not allowed to stay on OPT without a job longer than 90 days.
    You may be questioned on nature of consultant's business (IT) and it's relation to your field of study.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

"You are not allowed to stay on OPT without a job longer than 90 days."
      Is this a new rule?

mayanks20:
      Stay away from these consultants...big time frauds. I had a bitter experience with them. And you need to find work based on your field of study. I agree with the previous post. You can try looking for H1's through non-profit organizations or CAP exempt organizations. Such organizations do not come under the H1 cap and can employ and file for your H1 anytime. In other words they don't have to wait for your H1 start date to be Oct1st nor do they have to wait for April1st to start filing and they do not come under the 65000 +20000 CAP. Universities are CAP exempt and even NGO's. Good luck with your job search.
      higheredjobs.com is a good site for university jobs.
      Last edited by topcatin; 03-04-2009, 08:50 PM.
      Note that this is not a legal advice. Consult your immigration attorney for the best upto-date information.

Comment

Originally posted by topcatin
        "You are not allowed to stay on OPT without a job longer than 90 days."
        Is this a new rule?
        The rule came out last year with STEM extension. Give and take.
        Check out H1 FAQs first!
        http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1-visa-faq.html

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X