Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

H1B: Will you now or in the future require sponsorship?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B: Will you now or in the future require sponsorship?

Hi,

I am in H1B looking for job.

Every website has the following 2 questions:

"Are you legally eligible to work in the United States?"
    Answer is Yes for sure as I valid H1B.

"Will you now or in the future require sponsorship?"
    Yes or No.
    I am not sure of answer as I will only do an H1 transfer and do not need to go thro fresh quota application.

Please suggest suitable answer as I dont want any last minute surprises for anyone in my job search.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
    RM

---- although you have responded to this question, what is your current job? Are they paying or are you on bench. All said and done you need to paid, else you are out of status. The legality of eligibility is not only having H1 but also being in status

Yes or No.
    I am not sure of answer as I will only do an H1 transfer and do not need to go thro fresh quota application.

---- This question is for those with a L1, J1 H4 and other types visas where the employer needs to apply for sponsorship

Subramanya

Comment

Thank you for your prompt response.

Regards,
      RM

Comment

Originally posted by rohitmahagun
        Hi,

Answer is yes, but remember you are only eligible to work for your own employer and can transfer only if you have paystubs.

Yes or No.

Strictly speaking the answer is yes because you need sponsorship in future (for H1 transfer, extension or GC), but you can answer no and improve your chances of getting an interview. In the worst case you can tell them about your status in the interview.

Please suggest suitable answer as I dont want any last minute surprises for anyone in my job search.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
        RM
        Answers above
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Originally posted by kabkaba
          Yes or No.

Strictly speaking the answer is yes because you need sponsorship in future (for H1 transfer, extension or GC), but you can answer no and improve your chances of getting an interview. In the worst case you can tell them about your status in the interview.
          Why are you asking people to lie? A co. which does not want to bear the cost of sponsorship (especially in this economy) will schedule interview. When they come to know, they will call off everything, waste of time for both sides. Moreover, you'll be embarassed 'coz you lied and may hear not so nice words. All the more reason for people to have bad impression on a particular community of immigrants.

Comment

Yes, but for many job interviews that I had, employers were ready to take a foreigner if he already had H1. All they were concerned about is having to go through the lottery. But online application systems do not have this distinction and one can lose good opportunities for no reason.
            The best way to circumvent any misconceptions is when they call/mail you to schedule the interview ask them if they will consider you if all you need to work is an H1 transfer, if not you can call it off at that point. Have a human decide your case not a programmed computer trashing your application because of certain responses.
            Also, these applications are not strictly legally worded and binding. So I am not advising anybody to lie where they are legally bound not to. Also, I am not a lawyer anyway, I do not claim that my advice is in the best interest of the person.
            Last edited by kabkaba; 02-23-2009, 12:36 AM.
            This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

The question "Do you require sponsorship?" has been a standard since a long time - years infact, whereas random selection has come into picture just couple years ago. The meaning of sponsorship is not going through lottery. It means if employer will have spend money upfront to hire a candidate or not. And a transfer takes the same amount of money as for a new H1.

What is suggested in this forum is the legal and right thing to do, going by rules and laws. Ofcourse one has the freedom to make a choice to do things otherwise 'to improve the chances of getting an interview'. It is general knowledge that a lot more of 'otherwise' things are being done by lot many ppl to improve their chances of interviews.

Also, answering yes to sponsorhip requirement does not disqualify you. Its mere information.

Comment

Make it clear in your resume about what kind of sponsorship is needed.

Eligible to work with a H1b transfer/Corp-corp or whatever the criteria is so that the employer nor you have to waste any time.

I had made it extremely clear in my resume one time and had an interview with even the salary, offer discussed. The manager even discussed the start date, bonus etc and said he will take care of the H1b transfer and will hear from HR about the formal offer.

Many hiring managers have no clue about immigration and will see "Eligible to work" and ignore the rest of the sentence.

Learned it the hard way.

HR calls me and asks me about my EAD. What now? I said I can only join if they transfer the H1b and let go of the offer. I did not want to commute 75 mins one way everyday anyway but thought the offer was too good

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X