Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US born kid with PIO card - school admission issues in india

Hi,
    I am on H1 and my wife is on H4 and we are indian citizens . We are planning to have baby in US and get US passport as well as PIO card . We would like to go to india permanently after 3 years.
    We have the following doubts though we referred many of the discussion forumns on this site:
    1.) As we are going to settle in india after three years, we understand that we need to register for our kid if the stay exceeds more than 180 days. In our case it is Yes, so do we need to do only once or do we need to re-register for every 180 days/6 months at foreigners regional registration office?
    2.) Does my kid having US birth certificate as well as US passport, considered as a NRI in indian schools. Does well renowned indian schools have any quotas for the specific categories like our kid. do they charge fees equivalent to dollars.
    This is the basic condition we need to check , based on that we need to decide to have our baby in US or India.
    3.) Is there any cons of having our baby in US and settling back in India(after three years) .
    Cheers,
    Sen

US bor kid wit PIO

You can apply for PIO and the validity of PIO is 15 years. If the stay in India is going to be more than 180 days, you have to appear once before FRRO and register the stay and thats it. You can then stay there for the full tenure of 15 years without worries. After that period, you can apply for a renewal from India by approaching the FRRO. I hope this helps.

However, if you only plan to take the kid to India after three years and stay there without traveling back to US, I would sincerely suggest something to you though, this would be the best possible thing for you to do.

As a child born to Indian citizens, your kid is eligible to be an Indian citizen.
    As a child born in US, the child is also a US citizen and this cannot be given up. However, if you apply for a US passport, you give up Indian citizenship for your kid. If you apply for an Indian passport, you do not give up US citizenship. The kid will be a dual citizen as the US citizenship was involuntarily acquired.

Since you are going back to India for good and no plans to return to the US, he can be an Indian citizen for his entire education and not have to worry about extra fees. Once the kid turns 18, he or she can make a decision as to what citizenship they want to retain and then renounce the other one. This would be the best thing to do.

Please consider doing that instead of getting a US passport for the kid. The process is very simple as well. Get the US birth certificate and then register the child's birth with the Indian consulate and apply for Indian passport. When you are leaving the country, just travel with the child's Indian passport and thats it. You are not retaining both citizenships for your kid.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks.

Thanks,
    Sri

Comment

Travel issues for child with just indian passport and no US visa

Hi Sri,
      Thanks for the detailed post. Very informative, I might add .
      There's one question though....I have read in a few posts that when you travel using only the Indian PP, without a US visa in it ( for the child ), in one of the popular airlines (lufthansa), there have been issues on the second leg of the journey from Germany...
      Can you clarify...

Thanks
      younme

Comment

Canadian Citizen

As a child born to Indian citizens, your kid is eligible to be an Indian citizen.
        Hi, We are about to have a child in Canada. Both parents are Indian citizen. Is similar thing okay in Canada too ?
        Does that mean that we:
        1. Take the birth certs etc, and simply apply for Indian passport ?
        2. Will a PIO card be required if there is Indian passport ?
        3. Can the child choose which citizenship to select based on his preference after 15-18 years ?
        4. Just in case, if required, will he be able to travel to Canada or will need to apply for separate Visa ?

Any pointers will be highly highly appreciated. Thanks so much !

~D

Comment

Hello Sri, I am in a similar situation and your advice is really useful to me.. I am in the process of moving back to India and we will be having a baby in the US because of my wife's work.. but we will be moving back to india in 6 months.. how can i take the baby to india without any US passport.. on the other hand, if i get a US passport I will not be able to get indian citizenship for my baby.. can i get indian citizenship in the US from the embassy?

Originally posted by sridiculous View Post
          You can apply for PIO and the validity of PIO is 15 years. If the stay in India is going to be more than 180 days, you have to appear once before FRRO and register the stay and thats it. You can then stay there for the full tenure of 15 years without worries. After that period, you can apply for a renewal from India by approaching the FRRO. I hope this helps.

However, if you only plan to take the kid to India after three years and stay there without traveling back to US, I would sincerely suggest something to you though, this would be the best possible thing for you to do.

As a child born in US, the child is also a US citizen and this cannot be given up. However, if you apply for a US passport, you give up Indian citizenship for your kid. If you apply for an Indian passport, you do not give up US citizenship. The kid will be a dual citizen as the US citizenship was involuntarily acquired.

Since you are going back to India for good and no plans to return to the US, he can be an Indian citizen for his entire education and not have to worry about extra fees. Once the kid turns 18, he or she can make a decision as to what citizenship they want to retain and then renounce the other one. This would be the best thing to do.

Please consider doing that instead of getting a US passport for the kid. The process is very simple as well. Get the US birth certificate and then register the child's birth with the Indian consulate and apply for Indian passport. When you are leaving the country, just travel with the child's Indian passport and thats it. You are not retaining both citizenships for your kid.

Thanks.

Thanks,
          Sri

Comment

Retaining Indian citizenship

Dear Sri,

Your reply answers my question too , however how do you say that we are not retaining both the citizenships for the kid if we travel back to India ? Since the child is holding an Indian passport shouldnt it be the nationality of the child ? Also if we plan to come back again to US what happens then ? Do we have to take a visa for the child ? Please reply

Thanks
            Jayashree

Originally posted by sridiculous View Post

Thanks.

Thanks,
            Sri

Comment

You can't have it both ways.

If you plan to travel to the U.S., your kid can not get U.S. visa and must apply for U.S. passport and will lose Indian citizenship at that time. But then higher school fees in India when you go back.

Therefore, you need to decide which aspect you want to compromise.
              Immihelp Support
              No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Surrendering US passport in India

Thanks for the detailed info

If I take PIO card now for my Son, after moving to India permanently can we get Indian passport by surrendering US passport?

Thanks
                Jagadish

Comment

Look here . It says you can apply for citizenship after residing in India for 7 years.

Comment

A parent cannot renounce his/her minor child's US passport. He/she has to do it on his own accord once he turns 18. And once he renounces his US passport, he can never get it back.

Our son was born in the US in 1999. We had got him an Indian pp and we returned to India the next year. There were no issues of him travelling out of the US with an Indian passport. But I have read in this and other forums that the US consulate will not issue a visa to a child born in the US but holding an Indian pp. That could be a cause of concern for people who might have to return to the States after a brief stint in India, if their kids have Indian pp but are US born.

Comment

We are sailing on the same boat as u were earlier.Kindly suggest.

Originally posted by sen_tech View Post
                      Hi,
                      I am on H1 and my wife is on H4 and we are indian citizens . We are planning to have baby in US and get US passport as well as PIO card . We would like to go to india permanently after 3 years.
                      We have the following doubts though we referred many of the discussion forumns on this site:
                      1.) As we are going to settle in india after three years, we understand that we need to register for our kid if the stay exceeds more than 180 days. In our case it is Yes, so do we need to do only once or do we need to re-register for every 180 days/6 months at foreigners regional registration office?
                      2.) Does my kid having US birth certificate as well as US passport, considered as a NRI in indian schools. Does well renowned indian schools have any quotas for the specific categories like our kid. do they charge fees equivalent to dollars.
                      This is the basic condition we need to check , based on that we need to decide to have our baby in US or India.
                      3.) Is there any cons of having our baby in US and settling back in India(after three years) .
                      Cheers,
                      Sen
                      Hi Mr Sen, We are sailing on the same boat as u were earlier. I have the same concern about my child future or Education in India. What should we do now.
                      I am on H1 and my wife is on H4 and we are Indian. She is pregnant by 5 months and now i have to go to Denver, Colorado, USA for some project. Now we have some doubts kindly suggest as u have personal experience or opinion on this:
                      1) Which all documents we need to file for our child like - should apply for Indian passport or US Passport?
                      2) Does my kid having US birth certificate and US or Indian passport, considered as a NRI in indian schools?
                      3) What all procesure we should follow to smooth our life after returning to india?

Which one is better for us as we are from middle class family, cant afford NRI fees i schools. Kindly Help. Just tell me what to do and which all Documents from these will good for us :
                      US passport, Indian passport, PIO , US Birth certificate

Thanks in advance..
                      Rohan

Comment

Originally posted by rohan.denver View Post
                        Hi Mr Sen, We are sailing on the same boat as u were earlier. I have the same concern about my child future or Education in India. What should we do now.
                        I am on H1 and my wife is on H4 and we are Indian. She is pregnant by 5 months and now i have to go to Denver, Colorado, USA for some project. Now we have some doubts kindly suggest as u have personal experience or opinion on this:
                        1) Which all documents we need to file for our child like - should apply for Indian passport or US Passport?
                        2) Does my kid having US birth certificate and US or Indian passport, considered as a NRI in indian schools?
                        3) What all procesure we should follow to smooth our life after returning to india?

Which one is better for us as we are from middle class family, cant afford NRI fees i schools. Kindly Help. Just tell me what to do and which all Documents from these will good for us :
                        US passport, Indian passport, PIO , US Birth certificate

Thanks in advance..
                        Rohan
                        1) If your kid is returning to India forever & want to save cost on future college fees then take Indian passport. If you are returning back to US after few months/years US wont stamp visa on US Born Indian Passport so you have to get US passport from US consulate, and while travelling Indian Emmigration will come to know and ask to return Indian passport, else you wont be allowed to travel & will be asked to resolve this dual intent.
                        2) NRI quota (higher fees) starts after 12th most for Engg & Medical others like Science or Commerce may or may not have this quota.
                        3) Upto individual and whats their future plan.

So US or Indian Passport, PIO if US passport, US Birth Certificate register to Indian consulate if you want to have Indian passport.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                        X