US born kid, want to take India for long period

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US born kid, want to take India for long period

We came to US on Job demand for a short span and my wife is going to deliver the kid next month. We both are parents with Indian citizenship. After 4 month we are going back to India We want to take our child to India with US citizenship. 1) Do we need to apply for PIO or OCI card? 2) How long does the issuance of PIO card take? 3) How long a child can stay on such PIO or OCI card? Since we will keep our child with us in India and the child will study there. Can kid stay in India at a stretch with the parents without visiting US? If so how long? 4) What after the expiry of PIO card if the kid wants to stay with the parents on US citizenship in India 5) What are the disadvantages of being US citizen in india?

/compare-oci-card-with-pio-card/

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

US born Kid want to take India for long

What I understand from the PIO and OCI card is that I need to take PIO card. My queries are can I keep the kid with me for 15 years at a stretch with me on the basis of PIO card and without giving back the US citizenship. The only condition is that I need to take my kid to police authorities every 6 months. Is my understanding correct ??

Comment

hey! this so sounds like what my parents did!!!
        well i was in india from 2months old till i was about 19. without ever visiting here. the only identification i had was a U.S. passport. the problem staying in india with american citizen ship came when i was preparing for college, i had to pay rediculous NRI fees. pretty much came out to be fees in U.S. so i came here. I dont think there is any problem now. I shal ask my parents what exactly they did and post it here tomorrow. jsut make sure you get a passport for the baby, social security card, various other documents before you decide to leave.

Comment

US born kid want to keep long

Hey sparkles,

So you could stay in India for 19 years. Were you on PIO? Did you visit police authority every 6 months? How long was the PIO card ,15 years? Did you get the PIO renewed, if so for how long? Is there any compulson to visit US meanwhile you stay with your parents? What are the other fomalities your parents faced to keep you with them in India for 19 years? How much is the fee difference for NRIs and Resident Indians. Is it that huge?

Your reply will be very very helpful to me.

Comment

Hey sparkles,

So you could stay in India for 19 years. Were you on PIO? Did you visit police authority every 6 months? How long was the PIO card ,15 years? Did you get the PIO renewed, if so for how long? Is there any compulson to visit US meanwhile you stay with your parents? What are the other fomalities your parents faced to keep you with them in India for 19 years? How much is the fee difference for NRIs and Resident Indians. Is it that huge?

yeah, I could. My parents had to sign a resident form (because i was minor they had to do legal work) which let me stay there in increments of 10 years, you simply have to get it renewed every 10 years and honestly it is a very simple process. I also never visited USA until i was 19. meanwhile i renewed my passports at US consulate in MUMBAI every 4-5 years i think. when i was 14, i got the passport that was valid for 20 years. so, no there is no compulson of visiting usa. if you are born here, you dont have to deal with all those problems, you are a natural citizen and nothing can take that away. At the school level i dont think there is any difference in the fees, but at college level NRI pays anywhere from 3 - 10 times the fees + donations. frankly my college was nearly free here, in india it was going to cost me 17lakhs per year(pune)+donation. let me know if you have any questions. i couldnot get specific information about names of the forms and all, couldnot get a hold of my dad who handled stuff at that time!

Oh and I hope this step helps ur baby the way it helped me in my life! My Mom was smart!

Comment

Considering your case it seems that there won't be any problem for a kid to stay in India with the parents. But you have no where mentioned that whether you were on PIO or not. Hope the legal formalities your parents did 19 years back hold valid till now? You talked about the renewal, is that the same renewal of PIO? One more thing the resident form which your parents signed was in India or was to be signed when they left US. You can also write about the form which your parents signed. This would be of lots of help to us. You can write whenever you get in touch with you father. Since I will keep on exploring this thread for updates from you.

Comment

mm...sure except gettin a hold of him is quite tricky! if you wana leave ur email - whenever i get in touch with you i can drop the details! as for pio...as i said he did ething so i wudnt know the names of the forms and stuff....bt i'll get the info from him and update u

Comment

Pio

You can apply for PIO and the validity of PIO is 15 years. You do not, let me repeat, DO NOT, have to appear before the police (correction FRRO) every six months. If the stay in India is going to be more than 180 days, you have to appear once and register the stay and thats it. You can then stay there for the full tenure of 15 years without worries. After that period, you can apply for a renewal from India by approaching the FRRO. I hope this helps.

I would sincerely suggest something to you though, this would be the best possible thing for you to do.

As a child born to Indian citizens, your kid is eligible to be an Indian citizen.
                  As a child born in US, the child is also a US citizen and this cannot be given up. However, if you apply for a US passport, you give up Indian citizenship for your kid. If you apply for an Indian passport, you do not give up US citizenship. The kid will be a dual citizen as the US citizenship was involuntarily acquired.

Since you are going back to India for good and no plans to return to the US, he can be an Indian citizen for his entire education and not have to worry about extra fees. Once the kid turns 18, he or she can make a decision as to what citizenship they want to retain and then renounce the other one. This would be the best thing to do.

Please consider doing that instead of getting a US passport for the kid. The process is very simple as well. Get the US birth certificate and then register the child's birth with the Indian consulate and apply for Indian passport. When you are leaving the country, just travel with the child's Indian passport and thats it. You are not retaining both citizenships for your kid.

I hope this helps and please let me know if you need any more info.

Thanks.

Thanks,
                  Sri

Comment

thanks dear sparkles,

Really sparkles your parents where smart and you also doing good job by posting all their experience and trouble they have in india. I really appreciate if you can put your parents suggestion for growing us citizen kids in india that can help parents like us......thanks from bottom of my heart.....

Originally posted by sparkles View Post
                    Hey sparkles,

yeah, I could. My parents had to sign a resident form (because i was minor they had to do legal work) which let me stay there in increments of 10 years, you simply have to get it renewed every 10 years and honestly it is a very simple process. I also never visited USA until i was 19. meanwhile i renewed my passports at US consulate in MUMBAI every 4-5 years i think. when i was 14, i got the passport that was valid for 20 years. so, no there is no compulson of visiting usa. if you are born here, you dont have to deal with all those problems, you are a natural citizen and nothing can take that away. At the school level i dont think there is any difference in the fees, but at college level NRI pays anywhere from 3 - 10 times the fees + donations. frankly my college was nearly free here, in india it was going to cost me 17lakhs per year(pune)+donation. let me know if you have any questions. i couldnot get specific information about names of the forms and all, couldnot get a hold of my dad who handled stuff at that time!

Oh and I hope this step helps ur baby the way it helped me in my life! My Mom was smart!

Comment

People tend to do what sridiculous suggests, and the only real issue is when you want to trAvel to the US at any time. This can only be done using a US passport.

Comment

"At the school level i dont think there is any difference in the fees, but at college level NRI pays anywhere from 3 - 10 times the fees + donations. frankly my college was nearly free here, in india it was going to cost me 17lakhs per year(pune)+donation. let me know if you have any questions. i couldnot get specific information about names of the forms and all, couldnot get a hold of my dad who handled stuff at that time!"

My son is also a US citizen staying in Bangalore since he was 2 months old. He is now doing 10th std. He is planning to do his bachelor's in the US. We were afraid of the fees in the US colleges. But, I'm surprised to see you mention that your college was nearly free. Please tell me how my son can get an education(Bachelor's) at a cost effective way in the US? What he has to prepare?

Please let me know.

Thanks and regards,
                        Balaji

Comment

Dont get US Passsport

Originally posted by hemantdw View Post
                          We came to US on Job demand for a short span and my wife is going to deliver the kid next month. We both are parents with Indian citizenship. After 4 month we are going back to India We want to take our child to India with US citizenship. 1) Do we need to apply for PIO or OCI card? 2) How long does the issuance of PIO card take? 3) How long a child can stay on such PIO or OCI card? Since we will keep our child with us in India and the child will study there. Can kid stay in India at a stretch with the parents without visiting US? If so how long? 4) What after the expiry of PIO card if the kid wants to stay with the parents on US citizenship in India 5) What are the disadvantages of being US citizen in india?
                          If you are not planning to come back to the US. My recommendation will be to register the child to a local Indian mission and get an Indian Passport. Since the child will have a US birth certificate, he/she can get a US passport anytime once he/she gets older and want to come to the US.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                          X