Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PIO Question : What is an "apostilled" copy of us passport ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PIO Question : What is an "apostilled" copy of us passport ?

Hi All,
    I am a US citizen and I am trying to apply for Person of Indian Origin (PIO) card. I was ready with all my documents and suddenly I find that the checklist says mail the apostilled copy of the US passport and then notarize it.
    What is "apostilled" copy of the US passport ? Is it not a regular copy? Interestingly,I google'd it and not many links are there to clearly explain it. Can some one please clarify the same.

Apart from the Original Indian Passport I am sending all other copies.

I also have few other questions, if someone could clarify that would be great.

Do we need to send birth certificate (or passport copy should be enough)?
    Do we need to send the marriage certificate?
    Proof of address :I am sending drivers licence, is it enough or something else is required ?
    If there are any other things that I need to be particularly aware of or careful about, please do let me know.

Thanks in advance.
    US Citizen.

Appostille is different from Notary. Appostilled documents are authenticated by the state authorities. It need not be notarized or attested once its appostilled.

CGI San Francisco website has few notes about the appostile convention. Please visit the "appostile convention"link under attestation on documents in the website www.cgisf.org

Comment

How to get Apostille

I am copying from the page that I got from the AAA notary

"To obtain an apostille, any one may mail the notarized document and a $20 check payable to the Secretary of State"

In California the address is

Office of Secretary of State
      Notary Public Section
      PO Box 942877
      Sacramento, CA 94277-0001

An apostille must be specifically requested, and the nation to which the document will be sent must be indicated.

So essentially one should get your document notarized first and then sent a request for apostille to the Secy of State.

Hope this helps

Comment

Hi Luckyjack,

Pls share your experiences.... How did you make Apsotilled copy? I'm also in same boat

Comment

Luckyjack,
          Apostilled copy is nothing but a certificate from the State officials that the Notarized Copy of the passport is valid. To know which office in your state can Apostille your Passport copy, please check this link:
          http://www.hcch.net/index_en.php?act...etails&aid=353

Hope this helps!

Please see inline for answers to your other questions.

Originally posted by Luckyjack View Post
          Hi All,
          I am a US citizen and I am trying to apply for Person of Indian Origin (PIO) card. I was ready with all my documents and suddenly I find that the checklist says mail the apostilled copy of the US passport and then notarize it.
          What is "apostilled" copy of the US passport ? Is it not a regular copy? Interestingly,I google'd it and not many links are there to clearly explain it. Can some one please clarify the same.

Apart from the Original Indian Passport I am sending all other copies.

I also have few other questions, if someone could clarify that would be great.

Do we need to send birth certificate (or passport copy should be enough)? Yes
          Do we need to send the marriage certificate? No
          Proof of address :I am sending drivers licence, is it enough or something else is required ? They ask for two proofs. So the latest Utility bill (Notarized) will be good, along with DL.
          If there are any other things that I need to be particularly aware of or careful about, please do let me know.
          You should notarize all photocopies or send in the Originals. Good Luck!
          Thanks in advance.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X