X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drivers license renewal -visa expired - greencard pending

To whom it may concern,

Good day sir/ madam,

I am in the US with a K1 visa and waiting on my green card, but my visa expired in November and i can not get my state ID or drivers license with an expired visa except i get my green card, so i am wondering if i can renew my visa while my green card is pending.

Thank you for your co-operation
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

If you show the proof that your greencard is pending (receipt notice etc), that should work.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

First of all a K1 is not renewable. It basically expired the day you used it to enter the country. Your I-94 will have a 90 day date on it.

Driver's license requirements depend on the state in which your reside so you will have to look that up. Most state governments want at least an I-94 or visa with a minimum of 6 months left on it. That lets you out being a K1. They don't normally recognize AOS pending...like a receipt of applying as being worth anything.

Hopefully you applied for EAD along with your green card. Most states will take that as evidence of a legal time of remaining in the US and will give you a temporary license for the length of the EAD card. That should come in 60-90 days and faster than the green card.

You will have to find out what your own state requires because it could be different.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X