Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• got citizenship interview - but having driver's license of different state

Hi

I am in Michigan and I moved here from PA to MI since 3 years. I submitted AR11 to uscis informing them that I moved here due to job purpose. Now I got citizenship interview and they need to show my driver's license right? I am having PA license and I kept that because I finally wants to move there due to family.

will it be okay? and do you have any good answer if they ask me why I am still having PA license as I moved to MI. any chance to get my application denied on this reason.

please help me to clear this.

thanks in advance.

JS

Originally posted by smithjohnatpa View Post
    Hi

I am in Michigan and I moved here from PA to MI since 3 years. I submitted AR11 to uscis informing them that I moved here due to job purpose. Now I got citizenship interview and they need to show my driver's license right? I am having PA license and I kept that because I finally wants to move there due to family.

will it be okay? and do you have any good answer if they ask me why I am still having PA license as I moved to MI. any chance to get my application denied on this reason.

please help me to clear this.

thanks in advance.

JS
    JS-
    Can you get a Michigan license before your interview?
    I think they want to see a DL to make sure you live in the district you are applying in. You will need some sort of document like a utility bill, lease, to prove you live in the district you are applying in for at least 3 months.

On a personal experience, when I moved to texas from Kansas, I made an info pass to check on my case status. The officer helped me with my case but said i needed to change my DL to Texas as its the law. ( 10 days after moving ).

I hope this helps some!

Good luck!

Poisontee
    Disclaimer:Not legal advise! Use at your own risk.
    N-400 Timeline San Antonio Office
    06/07/2009 - Sent Application
    06/10/2009 - Delivered.
    06/12/2009 - Check Cashed
    06/19/2009 - Rec NOA
    06/22/2009 - Rec Biometrics Appt Letter
    07/02/2009 - Biometrics Appt
    07/13/2009 - Rec Interview Letter Appt
    08/24/2009 - Interview Date
    10/13/2009 - Rec Oath Appt Letter
    10/22/2009 - Oath Ceremony
    10/26/2009- Passport App
    11/06/2009- Passport Received

Comment

Originally posted by poisontee View Post
      JS-
      Can you get a Michigan license before your interview?
      I think they want to see a DL to make sure you live in the district you are applying in. You will need some sort of document like a utility bill, lease, to prove you live in the district you are applying in for at least 3 months.

On a personal experience, when I moved to texas from Kansas, I made an info pass to check on my case status. The officer helped me with my case but said i needed to change my DL to Texas as its the law. ( 10 days after moving ).

I hope this helps some!

Good luck!

Poisontee
      Thanks a lot for your reply.

I can do it then I need to change everything.. like insurance and also my wife's DL as well. but I have other stuffs like lease,utility bills etc to show I am living here...

will that work or I have to have get DL for MI?

please share real experience to get this confusing away.

Also I am planning to call USCIS on Monday might I get some help.

and if I will go with PA DL will it be problem for interview or it depen on IO?

any thought from anyone?

Thanks
      JS

Comment

Illegal

I just checked MI DMV and it clearly states that you cannot drive in MI using out-of-state DL after you establish MI residency. I would try to present myself as a law abiding person before the interviewer, so would get MI DL before appearing for the interview.

Following from MI DMV web site:
        Can I drive on my out-of-state driver's license while temporarily in Michigan?
        Answer:
        You may drive in Michigan with an out-of-state driver license as long as the license is valid, and you are not a Michigan resident.

Comment

question

Originally posted by arcotg View Post
          I just checked MI DMV and it clearly states that you cannot drive in MI using out-of-state DL after you establish MI residency. I would try to present myself as a law abiding person before the interviewer, so would get MI DL before appearing for the interview.

Following from MI DMV web site:
          Can I drive on my out-of-state driver's license while temporarily in Michigan?
          Answer:
          You may drive in Michigan with an out-of-state driver license as long as the license is valid, and you are not a Michigan resident.
          I am planning to get new DL of MI but it wouldn't matter if I get it before 15 days of interview right?

any thought on this.

thanks

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X