F1 OPT - Start a Business

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 OPT - Start a Business

I am aware that an F1 student on post-completion OPT can start a business.

I intend to do so(sole proprietorship...Not an LLC or an Inc.).
    I then intend to register it as e-verify and apply for STEM extension.

Is that possible ?
    Is there anything I should be aware/take care of ?

Thanks a lot,
    Abhishek

If you are doing this to circumvent the requirements of OPT to have a job, you could be in for some trouble. Do you have a contact with a client in your field of study to prove that you are self employed in the field of your study?

It may work if you are an artist and are opening an art studio and work on your skills from your degree in art.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks for replying.

I do have a job in my field of study.(I am a software programmer)

It's just that I have a few ideas(in iPhone application development), which I would like to work on rather than other stuff.

I intend to open a sole proprietorship and develop iPhone apps. They will be available on the app store as 'proof' that I did not sit around doing nothing.

Do you think that could work and not have hidden obstacles(eg. I would work from home obviously and not have an office of any kind) ?

Comment

Opening a business on EAD from OPT is very much possible. However, the legal hassles that one has to deal with to prove things to USCIS more than deters anyone from doing so.

Also, you may have to shut down the company as soon as you convert to H1b as you cannot be a sole owner of your "own" company on H1b and work for yourself. In other words, self employment is not allowed.

As far as USCIS goes, it will be hard to please them if they issue an RFE on this 10 years from now. One of my friend got something like an RFE for something that he did 12 years back on F1 status during his green card processing recently.

If I were you, I would not do it.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Urgent and Important Help Me Plz

Hi !!
          I gt engaged to a girl who is on OPT VISA STATUS and she is in india now she hasnt got Job yet.Can anyone advise me that i can apply for dependent visa.what are the chances of getting the visa,as i havn't gt any idea.plz do help me .

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X