Notarization of Affidavit for Name Split

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notarization of Affidavit for Name Split

I was recently at the Indian Consulate in New York for renewing my Passport.

My complete name <A B> is written in the passport on the surname line. The given name field is blank! So it is in the passport as:

surname: <A B>
    given name:

I would like my new passport to have it correctly as
    surname <B>
    given name <A>

But the consulate has refused to do it without a notarized affidavit.

I did take the affidavit to my bank for notarization, but they were obviously clueless about the affidavit form and refused to notarize it.

1. Where and How do I get such a form notarized?

2. Does anybody have any experience in filling this form. I'm quite confused as to where do I have to sign on this form?

3. If anybody has done this before in the US and got a form notarized for a name split, can you please share how you got it done. Thanks!

Anyhelp in this regard will be really helpful. Thanks!

Dunno about the name split, but for getting it notarized, I'd google for a list of notaries in your home area or zip code and pick out someone with an Indian name -- They'll probably understand what you're trying to do...

Alternately, any Fedex Kinko's has notary services, but no idea of the cost...

Comment

Read https:///name-change-correction-in-i...ssport-in-usa/
      Immihelp Support
      No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

I have already read that.

I'm trying to find out:

1. If anyone has used this form here in the US to get the name split notarized. Where did he/she get it notarized?

2. Where do I sign on the affidavit??

3. Do we need 1 or 2 witnesses?

4. Do I use brackets on the form to distinguish between my 'so called' old name as in ()(Aftab Alam) and new name (Aftab)(Alam)

I don't understand why do I even need this notarization! I'm not changing anything. Anyway, if someone has done this before, do reply! Thanks!

Comment

After getting the form notarized (from a UPS store that has a public notary available), I made a second trip to the consulate and was able to submit the documents! (btw, I was in the queue for 1.5 hours!,,,Those of you going to the NY consulate, make sure u get there when doors open!)

Something new had to pop out.. So, after submission I was told the process could take four weeks because they need some sort of clearance from the consulate that issued the original passport. What sort of clearance.. I have no idea. My passport was issued in Doha. But I have heard from some of my friends who had passports issued in India also facing the same issue.

So those of you planning to travel in the near future and need to go to the consulate for passport reissue, go as early as possible and rid urself of some stress!

Originally posted by afialam View Post
          I have already read that.

I'm trying to find out:

1. If anyone has used this form here in the US to get the name split notarized. Where did he/she get it notarized?

2. Where do I sign on the affidavit??

3. Do we need 1 or 2 witnesses?

4. Do I use brackets on the form to distinguish between my 'so called' old name as in ()(Aftab Alam) and new name (Aftab)(Alam)

I don't understand why do I even need this notarization! I'm not changing anything. Anyway, if someone has done this before, do reply! Thanks!

Comment

Hi,

I want to split my name in passport into first name and surname. Even I got confused on seeing the form for affidavit. I haven't filled the form yet and would seek guidance in future.

Please keep this thread alive and let us know what happened in your case.

I am sure there would be many more in the same boat.

Comment

Name change for my son- Please advice

Hi,
              I added (through Lawyer in Indai) middle name to my son while in India during Summer.; Have Printed information of name change published by Gazette from TamilNandu State Gov;

Now we are all back in India and need advice on to request for name in Indian Passport in NY. Accessed Indian consulate website information supporting documents are is not very clear as my son is minor and this is only a minor name change.

Do I need to publish Name change in Local newspaper?

Comment

I was finally able to obtain my new passport, but not without a fight until the end.

After two weeks of submission, I enquired from NY if they have received a clearance from the original passport issuing office (mine was Doha). They said NO. So I decided to contact the Doha consulate. They asked me send them the File number and receipt number. They also asked me to send scanned pages of my original passport, so keep those handy.

Once I emailed all these to Doha, they reverted back saying, that they have received everything and have faxed clearance to NY. When I called NY later, they claimed they have not received any fax. Infact one lady told me that the Fax might be in some other part of the building and will take time to reach her!!. So here started the iterations between Doha and NY. I would ask Doha to refax and NY would claim not to receive it.

I later on asked Doha if they could email the clearance to NY. They responded positively and following their email, I got a call from NY that they have received clearance and passport is ready.

If I would not jumped around, it would have taken a long long time for my passport to get ready. So be active and start the process for your new passport asap. Good Luck!

Originally posted by afialam View Post
                After getting the form notarized (from a UPS store that has a public notary available), I made a second trip to the consulate and was able to submit the documents! (btw, I was in the queue for 1.5 hours!,,,Those of you going to the NY consulate, make sure u get there when doors open!)

Something new had to pop out.. So, after submission I was told the process could take four weeks because they need some sort of clearance from the consulate that issued the original passport. What sort of clearance.. I have no idea. My passport was issued in Doha. But I have heard from some of my friends who had passports issued in India also facing the same issue.

So those of you planning to travel in the near future and need to go to the consulate for passport reissue, go as early as possible and rid urself of some stress!

Comment

affidavit format

Hi

As per checklist , for name split we need to submit form https:///name-change-correction-in-i...ssport-in-usa/

My Given Name in passport is "Hemant Kumar" . The surname field is blank.

I am going to get it reissued with name split. My required Given name in new Passport is : "Hemant". Second Name: "Kumar"

What will be the values to be filled up ate the desired places in format below:-

Sample text:--

By this deed I, the undersigned………1……….(New Name) previously called ………2………. (Old name), doing……………………(give profession or vocation) and resident of …………………………(address) solemnly declare:-
                  1. That for and on behalf of myself and my wife and children and remitter issue wholly renounce/relinquish and abandon the use of my former name/surname of …………3…………….and in place thereof I do hereby assume from this date the name/surname …4…. and so that I and my wife, children and remitter issue may hereafter be called, known and distinguished not by my former name/surname, but assumed name/surname of ………5………………
                  2. That for the purpose of evidencing such my determination declare that I shall at all times hereafter in all records, deeds and writings and in all proceedings, dealings and transactions, private as well as upon all occasions whatsoever use and sign the name of …6….. as my name/surname in place and in substitution of my former name/surname.
                  3. That I expressly authorize and request all persons in general and relatives and friends in particular, at all times hereafter to designate and address me, my wife, my children, remitter issue by such assumed name/surname of …………7………..accordingly.
                  4. In witness whereof I have hereunto subscribed my former and adopted name/surname of ……8…….. and …9…… affix my signature and seal, if any, this ………………….. day of …………..

Signed sealed and delivered by the above name
                  Former name……10………

Cheers
                  Hemant Kumar

Comment

Help for Split Name Deed/Affidavit Filling

Hi

As per checklist , for name split we need to submit form https:///name-change-correction-in-i...ssport-in-usa/

My Given Name in passport is "Rajeev Kumar" . The surname field is blank.

I am going to get it reissued with name split. My required Given name in new Passport is : "Rajeev". Second Name: "Kumar"

What will be the values to be filled up ate the desired places in format below:-

Sample text:--

By this deed I, the undersigned………1……….(New Name) previously called ………2………. (Old name), doing……………………(give profession or vocation) and resident of …………………………(address) solemnly declare:-
                    1. That for and on behalf of myself and my wife and children and remitter issue wholly renounce/relinquish and abandon the use of my former name/surname of …………3…………….and in place thereof I do hereby assume from this date the name/surname …4…. and so that I and my wife, children and remitter issue may hereafter be called, known and distinguished not by my former name/surname, but assumed name/surname of ………5………………
                    2. That for the purpose of evidencing such my determination declare that I shall at all times hereafter in all records, deeds and writings and in all proceedings, dealings and transactions, private as well as upon all occasions whatsoever use and sign the name of …6….. as my name/surname in place and in substitution of my former name/surname.
                    3. That I expressly authorize and request all persons in general and relatives and friends in particular, at all times hereafter to designate and address me, my wife, my children, remitter issue by such assumed name/surname of …………7………..accordingly.
                    4. In witness whereof I have hereunto subscribed my former and adopted name/surname of ……8…….. and …9…… affix my signature and seal, if any, this ………………….. day of …………..

Signed sealed and delivered by the above name
                    Former name……10………

Comment

Rajeev or Hemant, Can you please tell me how you filled your Affidavit .

I have the same case "Gulshan Kumar" and want to split to "Gulshan" "Kumar"

Comment

Originally posted by gkFNU View Post
                        Rajeev or Hemant, Can you please tell me how you filled your Affidavit .

I have the same case "Gulshan Kumar" and want to split to "Gulshan" "Kumar"
                        I have the same problem. The affidavit wordings are so confusing. Any help would be appreciated.
                        F2A, Spouse of LPR. Center NBC. FO Seattle
                        1/19/20 I-130 filed online
                        8/10 I-485,I-131,I-765 sent
                        9/05 Got I-797 receipts
                        9/14 Got RFIE for lack of I-864
                        9/22 Sent response
                        10/9 Got I-693 Deficiency Notice
                        11/13 Got RFE for lack of I-944
                        11/20 Sent I-944
                        7/13/21 Got biometric notice
                        8/9 Biometric day
                        8/13 Ready to be scheduled for interview
                        3/1/22 I-130 approved
                        3/1 Got RFE for medicals
                        3/7 Sent RFE
                        3/14 Got EAD
                        4/9 Got green card

Comment

Originally posted by sandeep.iiit View Post
                          I have the same problem. The affidavit wordings are so confusing. Any help would be appreciated.
                          Thats true. Affidavit wording is not clear. please if someone can share the filled template.

Comment

Originally posted by sandeep.iiit View Post
                            sandeep.iiit and amitarora80: I have the same problem! Were you able to get a simplified version of the affidavit? And did you submit the application for the name split then? Appreciate your help. Given Name: Chandni Surname: Malhotra

Comment

I am trying to fill the Affidavit for same problem. I have filled the first 3 things using the help of brackets "(" and "/" (needless to say that affidavit language is confusing)

Now I am trying to fill point 4. i.e.

""In witness whereof, I have hereunto subscribed my former and adopted name/surname of (given name) _________________ and (surname) ________________________ office my signature and seal (if any), this __________day of _______""

Can some one suggest me how to fill this?

My name currently in passport:
                              Last name : <blank>
                              Given name : (A) (B)

I want it to be
                              Last name : B
                              Given name : A

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...