Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request to Reschedule Interview

Hello everyone.

USCIS received my N400 application in early August. I gave my fingerprints late August and received in late September an October 20th interview date. I knew as soon as I found out the date that it would be very difficult for me to attend. I called the customer support line, and was told to submit a formal request to reschedule. I was worried because the USCIS website says that it takes 90+ days to process an interview reschedule request and my interview date was less than 90 days away but I was reassured that when they receive my request to reschedule they put the thing on hold.

So I sent in my request.

October 20th passed and 2 days later I received a “Notification of Applicant’s Failure to Appear for Interview” I-797C Notice of Action. They ask me to explain (within 30 days) why I did not appear at my interview. I have drafted a letter saying that I was under the impression that I would be rescheduled. I spoke with another customer service representative and she told me to send the letter. She was not able to give me any information.

What else can I do? Would an INFOPASS appointment help straighten this out? I am planning to get an attorney. Has anyone had a similar experience?

I am quite afraid that I will not get citizenship now (or that it will take years). If I could do it all again I would certainly have attended my original date, no matter what the cost.

best,
    Rob

Originally posted by robeuler View Post
    Hello everyone.

USCIS received my N400 application in early August. I gave my fingerprints late August and received in late September an October 20th interview date. I knew as soon as I found out the date that it would be very difficult for me to attend. I called the customer support line, and was told to submit a formal request to reschedule. I was worried because the USCIS website says that it takes 90+ days to process an interview reschedule request and my interview date was less than 90 days away but I was reassured that when they receive my request to reschedule they put the thing on hold.

So I sent in my request.

October 20th passed and 2 days later I received a “Notification of Applicant’s Failure to Appear for Interview” I-797C Notice of Action. They ask me to explain (within 30 days) why I did not appear at my interview. I have drafted a letter saying that I was under the impression that I would be rescheduled. I spoke with another customer service representative and she told me to send the letter. She was not able to give me any information.

What else can I do? Would an INFOPASS appointment help straighten this out? I am planning to get an attorney. Has anyone had a similar experience?

I am quite afraid that I will not get citizenship now (or that it will take years). If I could do it all again I would certainly have attended my original date, no matter what the cost.

best,
    Rob
    Why don't you send a letter stating the reason you wanted a reschedule? They probably want to know why you wanted to reschedule.
    N400 Application details
    Added in the citizenship tracker app(06/25/09 - 11/13/09)

Comment

Originally posted by helpwithh1 View Post
      Why don't you send a letter stating the reason you wanted a reschedule? They probably want to know why you wanted to reschedule.
      I was planning on including that. My biggest fear is that some guy at a desk will get my excuse letter, give me a new interview date. Then another guy will get my request to reschedule and start that process.

Comment

Originally posted by robeuler View Post
        I was planning on including that. My biggest fear is that some guy at a desk will get my excuse letter, give me a new interview date. Then another guy will get my request to reschedule and start that process.
        I would not worry about that, I would just send them the letter they want, following the process they dictate would be the safest option :-)
        N400 Application details
        Added in the citizenship tracker app(06/25/09 - 11/13/09)

Comment

Originally posted by helpwithh1 View Post
          I would not worry about that, I would just send them the letter they want, following the process they dictate would be the safest option :-)
          Your re-scheduling letter might be somewhere in there mail room. Once it gets to your file, then they will re-schedule you. Do you have proof it was delivered?

Now all you can do now is provide what they are asking for.

I agree with others that you need to follow what they tell you. I would personally take an infopass along with the letter to talk to an officer to clear things up.

Re-scheduling shouldn't prevent you from getting your citizenship. it will just add more time to the process.

All the best!
          poisontee
          Disclaimer:Not legal advise! Use at your own risk.
          N-400 Timeline San Antonio Office
          06/07/2009 - Sent Application
          06/10/2009 - Delivered.
          06/12/2009 - Check Cashed
          06/19/2009 - Rec NOA
          06/22/2009 - Rec Biometrics Appt Letter
          07/02/2009 - Biometrics Appt
          07/13/2009 - Rec Interview Letter Appt
          08/24/2009 - Interview Date
          10/13/2009 - Rec Oath Appt Letter
          10/22/2009 - Oath Ceremony
          10/26/2009- Passport App