Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-130 Form Surname vs. Maiden Name

Hi everyone,

I'm beginning to fill-out the I-130 form for my wife.
    The I-130 form is asking for her "family name."

Do I use her "family name" before or after we got married to answer this question?

The marriage certificate states her first name and both our last name.

Thanks.

Use her current surname, which is the name on the marriage certificate.
    Disclaimer:Please bear in mind, my comments are not to be construed as legal advice. These are just my reasonings, based on my personal immigration experience or what I have read. Pay for legal advice or call USCIS to verify my comments.

Comment

Mariejm - Thanks for the quick response.

Do you mind answering one or more questions I have.

I'm trying to concurrently file the I-130 Form, the I-485 Form, and two (2) G-325A Forms.

We plan on going back to Japan for a traditional Japanese marriage ceremony while her I-485 application is pending.

Is it true that, while her I-485 application is pending, she can only leave the U.S. if she files an I-131 Form?

If this is true, can I concurrently file the I-130 Form, I-485 Form, the two (2) G-325A, and the I-131 Form?

Thank you in advance.
      Last edited by John710; 11-14-2009, 04:34 PM.

Comment

do- itashi mashite, john710 san

Yes she can travel on Advanced Parole I-131 while AOS is pending.
        To do so without an AP will abandon her case.

Yes you can file concurrently , aslo dont forget to file I-765 if she wants to work while waiting for her GC. Also dont forget her medical, and your I 864 or I 864a if applicable. Make sure u dont rush the application to avoid mistakes and RFE;s requests which slow down the process.

all the best!
        Disclaimer:Please bear in mind, my comments are not to be construed as legal advice. These are just my reasonings, based on my personal immigration experience or what I have read. Pay for legal advice or call USCIS to verify my comments.

Comment

Mariejm - Once again thank you for the quick answers!!!

Are you Japanese? I'm trying my best to learn Japanese from my wife but I understood the Japanese phrase you posted earlier. The Japanese language is very difficult to learn but so interesting.

After reading your earlier reply, it leads to another question that I have. Can I file the I-693 (Medical Examination Record) concurrently with the I-130, I-131, I-485, I-765, I-864 Forms?

Also, and only if you feel comfortable, would you mind discussing some issues I have with filling-out these forms on the telephone?

Thank you once again for your help.

Comment

Alas, I am not Japanese, but worked with a Japanese firm for years, thus I learnt the language and loved it. I have not practiced it so I have lost fluency.
            Yes, you have to send the sealed medical along with the full package. It takes about two weeks for the doctor to return it to you so start there first.

I am sorry but I post only on the forum , that way others to benefit. But feel free to send me a private message if you do not wish to crowd the public board.

Comment

I had a few opportunities to work in Japan for Intellectual Property law firms but sadly I declined because of personal reasons. Hopefully after my life is a little more stable, I still have those opportunities available.

So this is what I understood from today's replies and research.

I can concurrently file the following forms:
              i. I-130 (Petition for Relative)
              ii. I-131 (Petition for Advance Parole)
              iii. I-485 (Adjustment of Status)
              iv. G-325A (Bibliographic Form for my spouse and myself)
              v. I-693 (Medical Examination Record)
              vi. I-765 (Authorization for Employment)
              vii. I-864 (Affidavit of Support)
              viii. FC-029 (Photocopies of Original Documents)

Is there anything else I am missing in the above list?

Thanks again.

Comment

Looks good to me. Pics and checks, tax docs and W-2's as supporting evidence.

Comment

Mariejm - Last question for the night. If my wife's OPT VISA expires while the I-485 Application is pending, will she have to go back to Japan until the I-485 Application is approved by USCIS?

Comment

Once you have the I 485 in she can stay until a decision is made.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X