PIO Card Application – Washington DC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PIO Card Application – Washington DC

I submitted my application for PIO card this week. For the benefit of our readers, I will list it down step-by-step:

1. The embassy is walkable (10 mins) from DUPONT CIRCLE METRO STN – RED LINE ( You have to go to : 2536 Mass. Ave). Taxi will cost you Four dollars 50 cents.

2. The lobby is accessible before the counter opens, so if you reach early, you can get in the lobby and make yourself comfortable. ( The ENTRY door to the lobby doesNOT shut itself, so please please SHUT it after you, otherwise it really gets cold inside. The EXIT door shuts itself but makes a loud THUD sound, so please SHUT it gently after you.)

3. Please DONOT show-off your BABU GIRI in the lobby. In the two hours that I was there, people made business, social, and all sort of calls. This is very annoying. Please be courteous, if you have to make a call, please make it quick or step outside.

4. Please take a TOKEN. Don’t act blind; when 20+ people are sitting you cannot pretend to be the first one in line.

5. Now the main thing, these are the documents that I attached: (For all notarized document, I just got the first page Notarized.)
    a. TWO copies of the application. TWO pictures with each application (One stuck and ONE stapled)
    b. Cashier Checks 365.00 for adults, 185.00 for kids
    c. Notarized Birth Certificate
    d. Notarized photocopy of US Passport
    e. Notarized photocopy of parents US Passport ( with kids application only)
    f. Photocopy of Indian Passport
    g. Photocopy of Drivers License
    h. Photocopy of ONE Utility Bill

6. I carried all the originals also, just in case, if they needed to verify.

7. Don’t forget to take the receipt that is the ONLY evidence you have. ( REMEMBER, they have your US passport, so you have to be a little careful.)

8. General Comments:
    a. The restroom/lobby was clean, neat and fresh.
    b. Be prepared for the counter to open late. This may not be an everyday affair but it happens.
    c. I was asked, if I had ONLY one token for all applications. I said yes, and there was no issue as such, but I think they expect ONE TOKEN per application. So if you have more than one application, pull out more than one token, this keeps everyone cheerful.
    d. For PIO, it takes 45 days. I anyhow asked when should I come to collect the PIO and cancelled Indian Passport, the answer was “45 days”. So it is 45 days if you hand deliver it. By mail, I am NOT sure.
    e. I got an impression that they were not very pleased with me hand delivering the application, may be, I should have mailed it. But, the reason I chose to go in-person is:
    i. Make sure they have all the documents needed.
    ii. Make sure that they acknowledge the receipt of ORIGINAL US Passports. By mail, I was not very confident. (Remember: it is not what you send, it is what is acknowledged as received, that matters.)
    Last edited by GoodAdvice; 12-18-2009, 03:09 PM. Reason: Formatting

Any Update

Did you get any update on PIO Card. is there any way to get the status of it

Comment

Received PIO Card

Hi,

I just thought of letting readers of Immihelp know that I received PIO card for my newborn today. I sent the application of Dec 9th'09 by priority mail and they received it on Dec14th, so it took exactly ONE month!! (FYI: I'm talking about Washington, DC Indian Embassey)
      List of documents which I sent are as floows:
      1. Application form at Immihelp website (with our signatures Notarized)
      2. 2 Photograph
      3. Original US passport of baby as well as a Notarized copy of the same
      4. Indian passport's Notarized copy of mine and my wife's (First 3 and last 3 pages, and got notarization on all 6 pages)
      5. Baby's Birth Certificate's Notarized copy (Not Original)
      6. My Indian Birthcertificate's photocopy (not notarized)
      7. US driving license's Notarized copy (for address proof)
      8. Applicable FEE

All the best for future applicants and please drop a message if anyone has some questions not clear by the above message!!

--Anupam

Comment

Trying to contact them

I am trying to reach them to check the status, but in vain. If I can't reach them, then I will go to the consulate in last week of Jan

Comment

Received PIO

To my surprise, the DC consulate sent the PIO card by UPS next day delivery. It took around 35 days, plus I didn't have to pay for delivery.

I appreciate their effort and promptness.

Comment

PIO card application by mail to Washington, D.C

Hi,

This thread lot of useful information. I appreciate your help and time in sharing your experience.

I recently acquired US citizenship and I am having a valid Indian Passport.

I am applying for PIO by mail and sending the following documents to D.C. Could you please let me know if I am missing any documents or originals?

Also, let me know if I need to send my original U.S. Passport.

I appreciate your help. Thanks a lot.

Application:
            1. Completed Signed PIO Application forms - 2
            2. Photos - 4 (2 pasted, 2 stapled)
            3. Cover letter to issue PIO and cancellation of India Passports and return it.

Fees:
            4. Money Order $365 - Payable to "Embassy of India, Washington, D.C"

Proof of present citizenship:
            5. U.S.Passport - Only Notarized Photocopy (Only pages with particulars) - not sending original

Proof of Indian citizenship:
            6. India Passport - ( the last one acquired by applicant) - Original
            7. India Passport - ( the last one acquired by applicant ) - Photocopy - first
            4 and last 4 pages
            8. Birth Certificate issued in India - Notarized Copy - not sending original

Proof of Local Address:
            9. Driver's license - Photocopy (not notarized)
            10. Utility Bill - Photocopy (not notarized)

India Address Proof:
            11. LIC Policy - copy (not notarized)

Return:
            12. Self addressed, stamped USPS express mail envelopes (no couriers like fedex,UPS,etc).

Thanks again,
            Mathi

Comment

Originally posted by Mathir2010 View Post
              Also, let me know if I need to send my original U.S. Passport.

You need to send the original US passport.
              E: Documents required:

2. Existing valid passport in original along with a photocopy or notarized copy
              of first two pages of passport
              Originally posted by Mathir2010 View Post
              12. Self addressed, stamped USPS express mail envelopes (no couriers like fedex,UPS,etc).

The DC PIO page specifically states UPS, not the USPS:
              Return mailing charge $20 or Stamped Self addressed UPS Mail Envelope (No other courier services accepted)

Last edited by curtdfw; 02-16-2010, 03:18 PM. Reason: additions

Comment

Good catch. Thanks for responding quickly.

I thought either original and passport copy OR notarized copy.
                Last edited by Mathir2010; 02-16-2010, 04:11 PM. Reason: a

Comment

UPS is a typo.

They always return with USPS (post office).
                  Immihelp Support
                  No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Originally posted by immihelp View Post
                    UPS is a typo.

They always return with USPS (post office).
                    Thanks for the clarification -- I'm fairly certain that the Houston consulate used UPS for mine, but it was 1.5 years back, so I may not be recalling it correctly. I sent them the $20 for courier rather than using a prepaid envelope.

Comment

I know that few people who have received packages from Houston consulate by Express Mail, which is USPS.
                      Immihelp Support
                      No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

I too initially thought that UPS is a typo and it should instead be USPS. Hence I sent an Express Mail USPS envelope with my PIO application at Wash D.C. Counsulate. I got my PIO card back in the express mail envelope after 30 days. However the counsulate personnel forgot to return an original document, which, when I reminded them, they sent by overnight delivery by UPS (NOT USPS) at their own cost.

So, long story short, I think they actually mean UPS only, when they mention it on their website.

--Anupam

Comment

Maybe the safest thing to do is to just send them the extra $20 and let them use whatever makes them happy....

Comment

Originally posted by curtdfw View Post
                            You need to send the original US passport.
                            E: Documents required:

2. Existing valid passport in original along with a photocopy or notarized copy
                            of first two pages of passport

Do they return the original US passport right there or keep it for 45 days.
                            If they keep it for 45 days then that is insane..

Comment

Originally posted by rndman View Post
                              Do they return the original US passport right there or keep it for 45 days.
                              If they keep it for 45 days then that is insane..
                              Don't know if they keep it, but would assume that passport and PIO card would be returned together. If workable you might try submitting in person with the original passport and a notarized copy -- perhaps they could validate the copy and return the passport to you there. This is a total guess on my part.

Note that the '45 days' statement on the DC website is if queries to India are required. If all paperwork is in order it should take less time than that. Mine took four weeks from Houston Consulate.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X