Friends: Clear instructions to apply pio card in new york(ny) consulate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friends: Clear instructions to apply pio card in new york(ny) consulate

Hello friends, I got PIO card for my daughter in 4 working days from NY consulate. I know what problems I faced while applying for it. There were so many unanswered questions. I want to share all the information related to PIO application process with you so that you don't get frustrated. Baseline of these instructions would be for 'your child' as an applicant.

1. Get ready with following documents:

a) Take photocopy of first three and last three pages of applicant's passport, mom's passport and dad's passport. Now you have to get these photocopies Notarized. Number of pages is more and Usually Notary takes $5 for each page. But if you go to AAA office, they will issue 'Certificate of Notarization' for each set of document means for 3 passports, $15 only.

b) Take photocopy of 2 US address proofs(like Driving License, Utility Bill, Lease Agreement etc.) and get them notarized too.

c) Birth Certificate: if you are legally allowed to take photocopy of applicant's birth certificate, then take it and get it notarized. In my case, PA state doesn't give permission to photocopy birth certificate. I send it in Original and got it back with PIO card.

d) Applicant's original passport. Don't worry about it. I got it back along with PIO card.

2. Below link is for PIO application. Open it and you can fill it out there. You can not save the pdf file, you have to directly take the printouts. Fill the application in BLOCK Letters. Take 2 copies of that. Most of the columns are self explainatroy except below.

https:///us-visa-and-immigration-for...m-new-york.pdf

a) Column 1(a): Name of the Applicant: Write First Name
    Column 1(e): Place of Birth (Town, City, Country): This is confusing. It should be City, State, Country. Now you can write like City, State(mention e.g. PA sTATE), Country

b) There is column 3(c) "Address in India(verifiable)". You can give any verifiable India's address here. It is not required to give the address which is there on your passport which may be old.

c) Most doubtful Column 14. Write same information as you give in column 13

d) thumb impression of child of right hand for female/left hand for male

3. Fee for PIO - $185 for child + $20 for return Express Mail. Get money order of $205 from Post Office (by Debit Card or Cash)
    Make it Payable to : Consulate General of India, New York

4. "4 photographs 35mmx35mm light/white background".
    This is a tough job. Follow https:///do-it-yourself-photograph-i...visa-oci-card/ instructions. You may need to go with 4-5 different sizes and see which ever is fit for application.

5. send application to Consulate General of India, 3 E. 64th Street, New York, NY 10065 via USPS Express service.

Write me back if any questions.

Thanks
    Kulbhushan Garg
    Last edited by kukugupta; 02-03-2010, 04:03 PM.

urgent

Hi,

i gone thru the NY site and there is something called request letter.

what is that?

kindly reply me

Thank you,
    Kirit

Comment

Originally posted by dholariya_kirit View Post
      i gone thru the NY site and there is something called request letter.

what is that?
      The request letter applies only to persons needing to add a new passport number to their PIO card. It does not apply to someone applying for PIO the first time.

Comment

Thank you for reply.

i have some more ques.

In USA passport, do we need to sign( as child can not sign)

and

do parents need to submitt original passport ?

on NY site they have written following requirnment.

"In case application is for a child, Indian passports of parents (along with photocopies) and original birth certificate of the child (along with photocopies) may be submitted."

Comment

Originally posted by dholariya_kirit View Post
          In USA passport, do we need to sign( as child can not sign)
          See below:
          "23. My child is too young to sign his/her own passport. How do I sign my child's passport?

In the space provided for the signature, the mother or father must print the child's name and sign their own name. Then, in parenthesis by the parent's name, write the word (mother) or (father) so we know who signed for the child."
          do parents need to submit original passport ?

on NY site they have written following requirement.

"In case application is for a child, Indian passports of parents (along with photocopies) and original birth certificate of the child (along with photocopies) may be submitted."
          From the wording of the last quote "In case application..." it sounds as if the original passports plus photocopies must be submitted.

Comment

Information Needed

Do I need to strike Town and City and (Enter City and State)?
            10(a) Mark of Identification (What Identification we need to give for Infants)
            Do we need to fill to sets of same Application Form?

Please let me know..........

Thanks

Comment

Old Passport

Originally posted by kukugupta View Post
              Hello friends, I got PIO card for my daughter in 4 working days from NY consulate. I know what problems I faced while applying for it. There were so many unanswered questions. I want to share all the information related to PIO application process with you so that you don't get frustrated. Baseline of these instructions would be for 'your child' as an applicant.

1. Get ready with following documents:

a) Take photocopy of first three and last three pages of applicant's passport, mom's passport and dad's passport. Now you have to get these photocopies Notarized. Number of pages is more and Usually Notary takes $5 for each page. But if you go to AAA office, they will issue 'Certificate of Notarization' for each set of document means for 3 passports, $15 only.

b) Take photocopy of 2 US address proofs(like Driving License, Utility Bill, Lease Agreement etc.) and get them notarized too.

c) Birth Certificate: if you are legally allowed to take photocopy of applicant's birth certificate, then take it and get it notarized. In my case, PA state doesn't give permission to photocopy birth certificate. I send it in Original and got it back with PIO card.

d) Applicant's original passport. Don't worry about it. I got it back along with PIO card.

2. Below link is for PIO application. Open it and you can fill it out there. You can not save the pdf file, you have to directly take the printouts. Fill the application in BLOCK Letters. Take 2 copies of that. Most of the columns are self explainatroy except below.

https:///us-visa-and-immigration-for...m-new-york.pdf

a) Column 1(a): Name of the Applicant: Write First Name
              Column 1(e): Place of Birth (Town, City, Country): This is confusing. It should be City, State, Country. Now you can write like City, State(mention e.g. PA sTATE), Country

b) There is column 3(c) "Address in India(verifiable)". You can give any verifiable India's address here. It is not required to give the address which is there on your passport which may be old.

c) Most doubtful Column 14. Write same information as you give in column 13

d) thumb impression of child of right hand for female/left hand for male

3. Fee for PIO - $185 for child + $20 for return Express Mail. Get money order of $205 from Post Office (by Debit Card or Cash)
              Make it Payable to : Consulate General of India, New York

4. "4 photographs 35mmx35mm light/white background".
              This is a tough job. Follow https:///do-it-yourself-photograph-i...visa-oci-card/ instructions. You may need to go with 4-5 different sizes and see which ever is fit for application.

5. send application to Consulate General of India, 3 E. 64th Street, New York, NY 10065 via USPS Express service.

Write me back if any questions.

Thanks
              Kulbhushan Garg

Mr. Garg,

Thanks a lot for the valuable information. I still have some questions.
              My son's passport is renewed and now he has 2 passports.
              1. Do we need to send the old and new passports
              2. Do we need to send original or photcopy of passports.

Please advicce

Thanks
              Siva

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X