Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B and H4 visa: Joint filing of Taxes

Hello Everyone:

I had a question about filing federal and state taxes for myself (on H1B) and for my wife (on H4).

My wife came to the USA 2 months ago, and doesn't have a SSN or ITIN number.

Can I file my tax returns and also mail form W7 to request ITIN at the same time?

Or should I have to wait till I receive my wife's ITIN before I submit my taxes?

Please share any experiences from the past. I appreciate any inputs. Thanks!

You should file for ITIN number request along with filing the tax returns.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

Does this mean that I cannot e-file my taxes and will have to mail the return?

Also, how do I handle state tax return? Just send them a copy of the W7 submitted for the federal return?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks!!

Comment

You are correct. For the first time as your wife has not any SSN or ITIN, you can't file online if you are planning to file jointly.
        And for both state and federal, when you go for tax preperation with either HR Block or Jackson Hewitt or any other, you will get the address for State Tax Return and Federal Tax Return filing.

Originally posted by kiranboda123 View Post
        Thanks for the reply.

Does this mean that I cannot e-file my taxes and will have to mail the return?

Also, how do I handle state tax return? Just send them a copy of the W7 submitted for the federal return?

I appreciate your help.

Thanks!!

Comment

You need to first submit your fed tax return and form W7 together to the IRS in paper format, i believe IRS, austin, TX (check in IRS site). They will process your spouse W7 form first and will send you the ITIN number and then they will process ur fed returns. In meantime file for DS-160(tax return filing extension) plz chk once online for the form number confirmation. Once you get the ITIN number then u can goahead and file ur state tax returns. It will take atleast 4 to 6 weeks for u to get the ITIN number and another 4 weeks to process ur fed return.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X