F-1 students: "are you legally authorized to work in the United States?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-1 students: "are you legally authorized to work in the United States?"

Hi, I have been applying for various positions and have come across this question various times. I was wondering how I should respond to this question since F-1 students DO have authorization to work in the United States through OPT and CPT but only in major-related industries and with DHS authorization. There usually is another question asking about H-1B sponsorship so I believe they would know about my immigration status in the next question.

I'm wondering if the question is mainly asking if I'm undocumented or f it really wants to know whether I permanently reside in the US. If anybody has had some experience, please share your opinion! Thank you!

They are just trying to make sure that you are legally allowed to work in the US. So your response should be YES (authorized to work in the US).

Of course, you would need H1B sponsorship in order to continue to work after your OPT is over.

Comment

What if they ask like "(US Q2a.) Only U.S. citizens, U.S. Permanent Residents, or aliens who are authorized to work in the United States will be considered for employment, Are you legally authorized to work on a permanent basis in the US?"

They added 'permanent basis'.

Originally posted by mamama View Post
      Hi, I have been applying for various positions and have come across this question various times. I was wondering how I should respond to this question since F-1 students DO have authorization to work in the United States through OPT and CPT but only in major-related industries and with DHS authorization. There usually is another question asking about H-1B sponsorship so I believe they would know about my immigration status in the next question.

I'm wondering if the question is mainly asking if I'm undocumented or f it really wants to know whether I permanently reside in the US. If anybody has had some experience, please share your opinion! Thank you!

Comment

In that case, the answer would be no.

In other words, they don't want to get into sponsoring visa etc.
        Immihelp Support
        No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X