Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Surname-how to fill DS160

Hi,

I am trying to fill DS160 for my father. He doesn't have a surname. The passport lists only the Given name. Please help me if you know how I can fill DS160 in this case. Looks like Surname is a mandatory field on the form.

Also, how to I fill name in native alphabets? Please help!!!

Thanks,
    Anu

Start with https://www.immihelp.com/us-visa-app...n-form-ds-160/ and read all sections one by one. You will get all the answers.

If something is still not answered, post here.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

That helps!!! Thank you so much immihelp.

Comment

No Surname

I have the same problem, In my father passport, No "Surname" is there, what to specify in DS160 Surname Field? Thank your for reading and suggestions!
        Last edited by rimpys; 02-10-2010, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Did you also read the information in the same link I provided? If not, why not?
          Immihelp Support

Comment

I read the information on link provided! The way you are replying is not smell good.

Comment

Someone asks a question and I reply to him. Why would another person ask the same question in the same thread? Is that not applicable to everyone?

We are spending a lot of time and effort to make the guides that are comprehensive and easy for people to understand. People should read them and understand them. They should post the questions if there are any questions that are not answered by them. We have only limited resources and we are trying to help as many people as we can. Posts like yours unnecessarily increases the burden on everyone, without providing any additional value to anyone.

Please note that we are providing this service for free. You also need to do some reading and help yourself.
              Immihelp Support

Comment

Confusion even after reading the links

Admin,
                as per this :

No first/last name
                Some people in South India have only one name or all the names are written in the column of a given name or surname and other field is blank. If both the given name (first name) and surname (last name) are not present in the passport, the consulate will write whatever names are written in the passport as last name (even if that is your first name), and write 'FNU' in the first name column. FNU stands for First Name Unknown.

US Embassy in New Delhi web site:

Q. I only have one name. How do I fill out the DS-160 name field?

A. If you have only one name, a "first name", please enter your name in the surname field and put FNU in the Given name field. Note: You may click "Not Applicable" for writing your name in native script.

Actually it is not very clear :

so if Surname is missing, while filling up we need to put firstname as FNU ( eventhough there is firstname in passport) and Surname as the given name (firstname) in passport. There is nothing like LNU ( last name unknown). Please confirm if this is correct.

Surname is a compulsary thing as i see especially while filling up DS160 form as we use surname to retrive the saved form and later for scheduling.

Also i want to schedule by kids visa ( L2) with my wifes to make them join me here in US. This info is valuable as while filling up Kids details in ds160 it asks for Surname and firstname of person travelling with her ( in my case my wife who doesnt have a surname in passport).

Kindly address this as it is a bit confusing with people. Thanks.

Anish
                Last edited by anishsid; 02-23-2010, 09:43 PM. Reason: adding more data

Comment

If you have only one name (no matter whether it is first name or last name or whatever), that needs to go in Surname (last name) field. And first name would be FNU.

LNU for not having last name is not allowed. Last name (surname) is required.
                  Immihelp Support

Comment

thanks

thanks for the quick reply. So while filling up my Kids DS160 the parent details and person travelling ( my wife) first name would be FNU. Just need to make sure i am consistent here.

Anish

Comment

admin,
                      can you please suggest on filling the kids DS160 too ( my previous questions).

what should i add parent details/ co-traveller info ( surname/givenname) if surname is missing in passport. Thanks.

Anish

Comment

The same rule applies for every name.
                        Immihelp Support

Comment

I think I have done a big mistake. I have entered my mother's last name as LNU since the surname in the PP was blank. I have filled the DS 160 and taken the appointment too.

What should I do now? Is there any way to rectify it? Please help me. I am really worried.

Comment

Friends

Can anybody clarify on this please. I am in a real confusion.

Comment

Tell the consular officer at the time of interview.
                              Immihelp Support

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X