Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax Return Form 8843

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help with an issue I'm having with my Tax Return Form 8843.

Questions 13 and 14 on the form have left me a little confused:

13. During 2009, did you apply for, or have an application pending to change your status to that of a lawful permanent resident of the Unites States?

14. If you checked the "Yes" box on line 13, explain

I took part in the DV-2011 Diversity Visa Lottery this year, and I was wondering if that would be considered relevant to these question and if I should put that information down?

Also, I'm from Ireland and I am in the United States on an F-1 visa.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

8843 is used to try to exclude days so that you won't qualify for the substantial presence test and therefore won't be able to file a 1040. Since you are on an F-1 visa, it is likely that you do not have to fill out this form. Perhaps you have income from Ireland that you do not want to be claimed on a U.S. form 1040 and you have been present on F-1 for 5 years?

The question should be answered very directly. Did you apply for permanent residency? If you just changed your visa, that is not enough.
    Jeff Pickering

Work : (972) 378-5200
    Fax: (972) 692-7215

Comment

8843 Form Issue

Hello Friends, I am on student visa, live in CA.

I hae the following doubts in the tax form 8843

1. I have not written my ssn on the form eventhough I have one and I have work. Is it ok!? What are the consequences?

2. HOw will they inform us that our tax is received? Or filed?

Comment

Urgent help needed

Hello

I did an unpaid internship/scholar(J1) last year in the US in Apr-May 2012. Now I have a few questions about filling out form 8843:
        - do I fill out the "Address in the US" ( I returned to my home country India in August 2012, should I fill in my address during the internship). I have been staying in India since my return from the US last year.
        - what do I write at "current nonimmigrant status" (see further information below)

Thank you for the help.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X