Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel to India with maiden name and Name change in Indian passport

Hi,

This is my first post here. I have gone through your website and some of the posts. They are very helpful. Keep up the good work.

I got married in India and came to USA 2yrs ago. I have got my green card 1.5 yrs ago through my husband. My green card and other US documents has post-marriage surname (i.e., my husband's last name) where as my passport still have my maiden last name.

1) I am planning to travel to India soon. Would I be able to travel to India and back to USA if I carry with me my existing passport (it shows my maiden name), marriage certificate and my green card?

I am aware that I need to apply for name change (last name) in my Indian passport; but in the interim can I travel to and from India with above documents?

In continuation to above question:
    2) I have gone through the forum on your website on the procedure to change the maiden name at
    /indian-passport-services-in-usa/

It says, I should provide two documents for proof of residence.

a) I have my Indian driver license with parent's home address and my maiden name on it. Can I use it as permanent address proof?
    b) Can I use my father's utility bills as second proof of document. This is because neither my husband nor his parents live in India or have utility bills on their names.
    c) Can I use my current passport as one of the address proof's? It has the same address as my driver's license.
    fyi: I don't have any utility bills either in India or USA.

Your advice is much appreciated.
    thanks a lot.

1. Yes, you can travel with those documents.
    2. It requires proof of address in the US.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

IMHO...nobody on this earth can give what documents will work for a purpose in India. In India, every govt office will have officers working outside the office building. Yes...you guessed it right........Brokers/Agents. If you give handful of money to them, it does not matter what documents you produce. they make it workable.

Sorry...I am not making this statement just like that..just recently went through lots of hassles for no legitimate reason nor for any mistake of mine...roaming around the passpost office. Pray god to make India corruption free.

Thanks.

Comment

Last name is different on Indian passport and on green card

Hi there,
        I have same problem. Did u travel after that? Did u travel on ur passport name ? Did u face any problem? Pls reply bcz I m planing to gour to India and have same problem like u had. When I came to USA, my passport was on my X husband name and after I came here, I got married so on green card I have my new last name. I had student visa and it will expired next year, but I am not student anymore as I got my greencard. So don't know what to do? Have all my other documentside on my new last name accept my passport. Pls advice, I would appreciate. Thank u,
        Shital.

Comment

Originally posted by Shital Craig Bugg View Post
          Hi there,
          I have same problem. Did u travel after that? Did u travel on ur passport name ? Did u face any problem? Pls reply bcz I m planing to gour to India and have same problem like u had. When I came to USA, my passport was on my X husband name and after I came here, I got married so on green card I have my new last name. I had student visa and it will expired next year, but I am not student anymore as I got my greencard. So don't know what to do? Have all my other documentside on my new last name accept my passport. Pls advice, I would appreciate. Thank u,
          Shital.
          Hello,
          Did yo travel to India, with different last names in passport and GC? How was your experience?

Thanks.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X