Health Insurance for Parents Under Obama Bill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health Insurance for Parents Under Obama Bill

Hi, I have a question. We have purchased insurance for our sponsored parents. I know they don't cover preexisting conditions. However, under the new obama bill, i believe it is by law that starting from 2014, preexisting conditions have to be covered and there will be no maximum ceilings. Am I understanding that correctly?

Also, under the new law, we will be able to purchase insurance from much more places than the limited options we have now. Is that correct?

Thanks.

That is not true, unlike many had hoped.

For family sponsored immigrants, sponsors are responsible and immigrants can not get Medicare, Medicaid etc. Even the newly created options (starting 2014) are essentially the subsidy in the form of tax credits, which are essentially income based and sponsor's income is deemed to be immigrants' income, disqualifying them. Therefore, at least for first 5 years of immigrating, no better options than today, as immigrant can not seek any government assistance.

We have explained this further at https://www.insubuy.com/new-immigrant-insurance/-plans/

That is for those who are under 65. For 65 and above, they are supposed to go to Medicare for which new immigrants are not eligible. The problem remains the same.
    Thanks & Regards
    Insubuy
    Toll Free: (866) INSUBUY
    Local: (972) 985-4400
    Fax: (972) 767-4470

Comment

That does not sound correct. Can't a citizen buy a qualifying insurance for the new immigrant parents in the new coming insurance exchanges. The insurance companies might come up with high deductble plans with no pre-exixting condition clause to cover the new immigrants as they are not allowed to have pre-existing conditions. The bill will not change things a lot but at least a little bit and would do away with pre-existing clause.

Comment

Question Again

Hi, I appreciate your answers. But those are something I already knew and has nothing to do with my question. I don't want to get medicare or free health care. I already purchased health insurance for them and will continue to do so. My question is focused on the preexisting condition part of the insurance. According to the new law, no health insurance starting from 2014 can deny preexisting condition coverage any more, which up to now, is the biggest down fall of all insurances that I can purchase for them. And I don't see any exceptions in the whole bill at all. Also, there cannot be maximum ceilings any more either, which also is big part of the current insurance I had purchased.

Comment

Both of you are seeing what you want to, without looking at the complete picture and all other aspects involved and therefore you are coming at inaccurate conclusion.

The rule "no health insurance starting from 2014 can deny preexisting condition coverage any more" would be applicable only for those domestic insurance plans your parents would be otherwise eligible to purchase anyway. This rule does not change the eligiblility requirements with other aspects such as citizenship, legal status, residency, age and sponsor obligations. And this rule is not meant to be applicable to all the insurance companies in the world who offer insurance to anyone and anywhere in the world.

The best I can tell is you should wait and watch, and hope that something like that would be available. Everyone, including insurance industry, has just started to analyze the bill and therefore the details are still developing.
          Thanks & Regards
          Insubuy

Comment

Continue the discussion

I agree there are alot more to digest from the bill. However, from my stand point, it is clear cut.

They are permanent residents who will purchase insurance. This has nothing to do with sponsorship and how they get the GC. They are buying insurance just like every other GC or citizens. The bill is certainly not meant for citizens only especially the preexisting condition clause. I don't see any domestic insurance plan for US citizens or GCs can have that clause in it any more. It was fairly clear in the bill.

Comment

I wish you good luck.

When you get such insurance, please let everyone know so that others can benefit from knowing it too. If you are unable to, please let everyone know as well.
              Thanks & Regards
              Insubuy

Comment

Hey narendra,
                Can you please share some info on COBRA for new immigrant. Lets say if my dad joins my company and I have a high deductible($ 3000) plan for my employees and he decides after two months he does not like it. Can he continue issurance through COBRA, it would not cost him more than $250 for an individual. My premiums would stay down as he does not work for me, anymore. He gets insurance with no pre-existing clause. What u think , can it be done.

Comment

It does not work like that.

COBRA is a federal law that allows the ex-employees to continue their group health insurance with their prior employer who have at least 20 employees.

In other words, the insurance is still through the same group health insurance that the employer has. The difference is that the employer is not contributing anything anymore, but the ex employee is paying all the preimums instead. The employee would send the premium to the employer, who in turn, would submit it to their group health insurance company.

If there was a bad claims experience because of this ex employee, its effect would be exactly the same if he were working for you.

Then, you run into the same issues that I described at 'Adding them as employees in your small company' at https://www.insubuy.com/new-immigrant-insurance/-plans/ Insurance company gives the rates according to the group's claims experience. Money going out from the insurance company is the same money, and they don't care if the employee is actually working for you or not.

Believe me, I have been looking at any suitable option for many years, not just because of I am in this business but because I need it personally too for my relatives, but have found none. That is the sole reason, I decided not to sponsor my parents' green card, even though I am U.S. citizen for many years.
                  Thanks & Regards
                  Insubuy

Comment

simple answer my friends, people like you and me who sponsored parents to come here are screwed, obamacare for us is useless. in fact whatever insurance you find them it will now be more expensive than before.

I also wish you luck, there isnt much else to say, you will need luck, and i will, as i cant afford to pay $300++ a month for insurance so my parent will go uninsured.
                    Last edited by being; 12-25-2013, 08:47 AM.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                    X