F-1 Student applying for adjustment of status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F-1 Student applying for adjustment of status

Hi there, my mother just got her green card approved, and we were planning on applying for adjustment of status. I am currently studying in the US on an F-1 visa, never travelled outside of US and never been out of status.
    1. Can I get the EAD and AP and work until my I-130 is approved?
    2. Can I still go to school until my AOS is finalized?
    3. I am going to turn 21 this November and I really need to know how soon we need to file the I-130 and I-485?
    Any advice you can offer would be helpful, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!!!

Your mother can petition I-130 for you now.
    You will need to maintain your status until your priority date becomes current then you can file for AOS (I-485, Green card) then. You must maintain your F-1 status.

1. No
    2. Yes (as F-1)
    3. You can file anytime

Comment

Thanks for the reply! You gave me something to go on! Could you please explain the priority date issue? From what I hear, it takes a while before I get my green card, which is understandable. However, I can't afford to wait that long if the priority date issuance takes as long. I really need to find a way to pay for school so I can stay in-status. Please let me know what my employment options are at least until the process is over? Beside on-campus employment?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X