New Rule : $175 fee when you surrender Indian Passport

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rule : $175 fee when you surrender Indian Passport

This very very recent (may be a day or two old).

But, when you acquire US citizen ship and surrender the Indian passport (with PIO/OCI Visa application or otherwise), Indian embassy is charging $175 fee.

This is sheer nonsense and nothing but money making.

Note (1). According to Passport Act 1967, it is mandatory to get Indian Passport cancelled by the Indian Embassy. There is a fee of $175 for getting Indian Passport cancelled. Indian Passport of US national, expiring on or after 1st January 2005, and if the Indian Passport is not cancelled even after 3 years of acquiring US citizenship, such Indian passport holder needs to pay a fine of $250 in addition to $175 renunciation fee. You are required to pay above fees, if applicable, in addition to the PIO and Mailing fees.

Originally posted by rndman View Post
    This very very recent (may be a day or two old).

But, when you acquire US citizen ship and surrender the Indian passport (with PIO/OCI Visa application or otherwise), Indian embassy is charging $175 fee.

This is sheer nonsense and nothing but money making.

Note (1). According to Passport Act 1967, it is mandatory to get Indian Passport cancelled by the Indian Embassy. There is a fee of $175 for getting Indian Passport cancelled. Indian Passport of US national, expiring on or after 1st January 2005, and if the Indian Passport is not cancelled even after 3 years of acquiring US citizenship, such Indian passport holder needs to pay a fine of $250 in addition to $175 renunciation fee. You are required to pay above fees, if applicable, in addition to the PIO and Mailing fees.
    The story is same with embassy at UK, but not the same with HK. HK embassy is even not penalizing even if you have kept the passport for 3 years (and not traveled using it to India). What B.S. is going on here?

Comment

Sickining new rule

This is just to make money and nothing more, I can understand a fine for those who did not cancel their passports even after 3 years. But just to put a rubber stamp on the passport they are charging $175. This is typical bullshit from India. This is extortion and nothing else.

Comment

New rule for OCI

This is an unfair rule...People are under the impression while collecting the OCI one will have to cancell the Indian PP and till recently this was being allowed...I can understand if they do this for future applicants but to do this for those who have already applied is really unfair!!

But I don't know if Indian Govt will listen!!

Comment

Has anyone experienced the new rule?

Incidentally has anyone gone and collected the OCI card under the new rule?

Comment

New Rule & non returned passports from NYCGI

This is nothing but to make money from us. My OCI application is all approved, they have received the documents. I am not sure I will the only one, when we became citizen, we mailed our passport to NY CGI-they never been returned to us. Now they expect to provide proofs & cancelled passport that was submitted 15yrs. ago. No one is taking the call to answer the questions. We are travelling to India on June 1st. So, now I have to take visitor visas & spend another $700 between two of us for no guarantee that they will give us OCI Card!!! This rule enacted just two days ago.

Comment

Its nothing more than pocket money for some Politician born out of dog **** in Delhi who wants to travel in a/c Benz.

Comment

Unfair Rule

1) Current OCI applications are paused due to this additional requirement.
                2) If at all the new rule is applied, it should be applicable to new OCI applications. I'm suggesting this not to save money, but to avoid the confusion.
                3) Now, my OCI application is not being processed as it needs the "surrender certificate". I applied for OCI on April 7th, 2010 and even now (after 40 days) the status shows "no acknowledgement"
                4) They could process current OCI application and charge fees for passport surrender while collecting the OCI and issue the surrender certificate.
                5) Personally, I don't agree about the charge for surrendering citizenship. I don't think any other country charges such fees. They should simply put a "cancel" stamp on the Indian passport or even collect it while issuing OCI / PIO but no need for surrender certificate.
                6) What if, tomorrow India starts recognizing dual citizenship? Then pay fees for surrendering the "surrender certificate"!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rakesh69 View Post
                  6) What if, tomorrow India starts recognizing dual citizenship? Then pay fees for surrendering the "surrender certificate"!!!
                  Of course. Do you think they are going to give it to you for free? That would be even greater opportunity for them to squeeze money out of you..

Comment

Surrender certificate details at /indian-citizenship-renunciation-certificate/
                    Immihelp Support
                    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

OCI in process

I read about the surrender certificate. It is unfair that they made a change in policy without timely notice. I mailed my OCI application with original Indian passport on April 29th 2010 and it is still in process. As of now there are no updates in the Status tracker. Do I have to pay $175 for the surrdender certificate? Is anyone else in the same boat? Let me know. Thanks!

Comment

Yes, you have to.
                        Immihelp Support

Comment

SUrrender certificate for application in process

Thanks...but they have my original Indian passport and copies of my naturalization cert etc. for my OCI application. Should I just send the surrender cert form and the money? I still have not heard from them (via email/telephone) asking for this form. Should I wait to hear from them?

Has anyone had luck talking to a person at the SFO Indian consulate? I sent an email but got no response.

Comment

Very Frustrating

This random rule is extremely frustrating. When we applied for OCI no such rules were in effect. No mention of canceling Indian Passport on Application except for Indian Passport Information. I sincerely hope Indian Government reconsiders service fees & penalties for this utter unjustified rule.

Comment

Originally posted by Seattle_pn View Post
                              Thanks...but they have my original Indian passport and copies of my naturalization cert etc. for my OCI application. Should I just send the surrender cert form and the money? I still have not heard from them (via email/telephone) asking for this form. Should I wait to hear from them?

Has anyone had luck talking to a person at the SFO Indian consulate? I sent an email but got no response.
                              That is what seems most logical thing to do.
                              Immihelp Support

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X