Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renunciation form

Originally posted by immihelp View Post
    Did you have to fill the renunciation form in duplicate or just once?
    For myself, I had the renunciation form filled up in duplicate and notarized along with money order for the fee and copies of other supporting documents. For my husband, they have accepted a single copy of non-notarized form with cash for fee.

Comment

Surrender Certificate process for minors

Hello,

The renunciation form has a point (mainly in the sfo consulate form) about minor child. But, does not clearly state whether we need to file this form separately also for surrendering the indian passport for minor child.

I've emailed them about it. I'll share what I get, if I get any response.

Could you please help me understand the process here -

Also, Do I need to get the fee for him separately?

Thank you so much.
      Nandha

Comment

Received the renunciation certificate and the PIO cards by mail today

Our PIO application was pending for 3 weeks when we appeared in the consulate in person to apply for the renunciation certificates last Friday. We had travel coming up soon and we basically nicely begged them for a quick processing of our PIO cards. Today (Thursday) we received the PIO cards, renunciation certificates and the canceled Indian passports in mail. :-) Finally!
        -not so frustrated in nj

Comment

What if old Indian passport expired but was not canceled

Hi,

I received my US citizenship in Jan 2000 and applied for and received Indian visa in Jan 2001 just before I was traveling to India. My Indian passport was valid until March 2001 and expired but was not canceled by the consulate when I received my visa. I must have sent the passport to get the visa (right?) but I do not see any cancel stamp on it. I have always traveled with my US passport and Indian visa since then (never abused it, besides Indian passport expired in March 2001 anyway). Will any penalties apply in my case above the normal $175 fee???

Thanks for your help !

Comment

PIO for minor child

The other thing to note is that all this came up when applying for PIO card for my infant daughter. I had submitted mine and my wife's old Indian passports as evidence of Indian origin. The lady at the PIO department said (after calling forever number of times) that even though application is for my daughter and she is born US citizen, my wife and I need surrender certificates to have her PIO processed. This is not very clear (apart from million other things being unclear) on the surrender certificate info in the NY consulate webpage.

Comment

Originally posted by geemanjee View Post
              The other thing to note is that all this came up when applying for PIO card for my infant daughter. I had submitted mine and my wife's old Indian passports as evidence of Indian origin. The lady at the PIO department said (after calling forever number of times) that even though application is for my daughter and she is born US citizen, my wife and I need surrender certificates to have her PIO processed. This is not very clear (apart from million other things being unclear) on the surrender certificate info in the NY consulate webpage.
              My husband was in a similar situation. His Indian passport was expired for 15 years. He had many Indian visas issued. He still had to pay $175 to get the expired Indian passport canceled, and formally renounce Indian citizenship.

Our US born/citizen kids PIO were also halted until our renunciation certificates were clear. If we had only used Indian citizen grand parent's ties to India, then probably they could not have justified halting it.

SA

Comment

rediculous

Guys,

Lets make a petition and send to external affairs ministry. This new rule passport surrendering $175...can't believe this. Lets fight, only way to change things..

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                X