Surrender Certification application in SF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surrender Certification application in SF

I am getting ready to apply for surrender certificate and couldn't find answers to these questions on the forum. I apologize if these have been answered before and would appreciate a pointer to the other threads where these specifically have been answered for SF consulate.

I have already sent an email to SF consulate and have not received a response in the past 7 days.

a. CGISF surrender certificate form is different from the rest. My luck I presume. The form has a place to paste photograph. Is it clear if a photo is required to be pasted on the form and if so how many photographs are required per form (supposedly to be submitted in duplicate)

b. Are all supporting documents (such as copy of US passport and copy of Indian passport) to be attached in duplicate as well?

c. Is notarization of the form/signature required for SF? (I have seen other consulates/embassy requiring or not requiring notarization)

As usual there are practically no instructions on the CGISF website, so I am hoping someone who has gone through this process shares their experience.

My husband applied for his surrender certificate at teh SF consulate last week. He got it by overnight mail today afternoon.

To answer your questions:
    - You need 2 photographs. Attach one on each form you fill.
    - No just one set of documents (one copy of the bio page of US passport notarized, copy of entire Indian passport along with the Indian passport, one certified copy of the Naturalization certificate)
    -We didn't notarize the form, teh SF consulate does not specify notarizing the form. Instead make sure that copies of whatever you send are notarized.

Also, since it is illegal to make photocopies of the Naturalization certificate, my husband made an infopass appointment at our local USCIS office and they certified/ notarized a copy of the naturalization certificate for him. It was a quick process, in and out of the USCIS office in less than 10 minutes.

Good luck figuring out the process!!

Comment

Thanks csingh for your reply.

I went ahead and applied and got my surrender certificate and cancelled passport back, today.

Just to give back to the forum, here is the exact process I followed for the San Francisco office applying via mail.

6/3: Filled out 2 originals of application form, paste photograph on each, made 1 copy of all pages of US passport, 1 copy of all pages of latest Indian passport, 1 copy of naturalization certificate, cashiers cheque for $20 drawn out to "Consulate General of India, San Francisco". (Did not notarize signature or any copies of anything)
      6/4: Sent by Fedex (standard overnight) - all of the above + return pre-paid Fedex envelope (standard overnight) + original latest Indian passport. (I have a previously cancelled passport as well and DID NOT send that along)
      6/7: Received at CGISF
      6/16: Sent at 4pm from CGISF
      6/17: Received cancelled Indian Passport (NO corner cuts, Page 1 has a DRIL #, date and stamp saying passport is cancelled and returned to holder due to acquiring US nationality at CGI, San Francisco, No signature of anybody), pages 8-29 of copy of US passport that was sent with the application, the copy of the naturalization certificate and 1 original of application form with the same stamp and DRIL # and date (again, No signature of anybody).

Hopefully this will be useful to others.

Comment

Delay in receiving surrender

I applied for a surrender certificate on the 14th June, paid the 20$ delivery fee but never heard from them yet. How do I contact consulate, or should I just wait patiently? If so, for how long ? From Colorado

Comment

My Surrender certificate application was returned from SF.
          Apparently they lost my Cashier's check!!
          Now they are asking me to send another check as well as a $10 fee for having sent back the application (not the postage since I had included a pre-paid express USPS envelope....but looks like some sort of fee for having to send back the applicaiton).

My experience with SF CGI has been exremely painful.

Hope others are faring better.

Comment

Originally posted by dchatterjee View Post
            I applied for a surrender certificate on the 14th June, paid the 20$ delivery fee but never heard from them yet. How do I contact consulate, or should I just wait patiently? If so, for how long ? From Colorado

For me they took 3.5 weeks...which is what they claim on thier website.
            15 work days plus mailing time....Of course they just returned the application as I mentioned in my other post.

So you should wait at least for that amount of time.

Comment

lost indian passport

I sent my indian passport to sfo to cancel it so I can get the surrender certificate. Now they sent back saying that they need last used indian passport. I very much sure I sent it. I need that to apply for PIO card. Do you think they lost it. please anybody help.
              thanks

Comment

I didn't hear anything from them either.
                They didn't respond to my emails with clarification questions before I applied for SC either.
                I think, its a hit or miss with CGISF.

Did you send your application using trackable form (Fedex, UPS, etc) where you can be assured that it was signed for by someone at CGISF when delivered? Also, the same for the return, that way you have a way to track it once it leaves their facility?

Comment

Timeline for Surrender Certificate in SF
                  Received at CGISF : 01-July-2010

Thanks,
                  Jake.

Comment

Did your surrender certificate finally arrive?

Comment

Anyone else who sent for surrender certificate to SF who can post their timelines?

Comment

my wife received her RC in exactly two weeks.. i recently sent in my parents pp for Renunciation on july 6th and still no word on it...so there is no fix time

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                        X