Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to bring my on F2

Hello all,

I am a Ph.D student on F1 visa with full funding. I am planning to get married soon. Is it possible to bring my wife when i am coming back to the USA? I have my I-20 till 2016 but my visa expired recently which means i have to get F1 stamping (should not be a problem ) when I go back to India. My problem is I really want to bring my wife on f2 to the USA when I am coming back. How should I proceed with documents and paper work? Please guide me.

Thanks a ton

Hi ,
    to get your wife to US with an F2 visa, first of all you need a dependent i20 issued by your college/ university. The is the most important document for applying for an F2 visa.Like how i-20 is the important document for F1 visa. Once you have the dependent i-20 with another sevis Id generated for the dependent, you can normally apply for an F2 visa filling up the DS 160 form and making an appointment with the US consulate.The major points that the visa interviewer looks for while issuing a F2 visa are:

1. Is your marriage legitimate.
    2. strong homeland ties
    3. proper funds in US to support the dependent ( though you show enough funds in India that doesn't matter much. They only look for the funds in the US).

I am also in the process of applying F2 visa for my husband.This is the knowledge which i have up to date. Hope it helps. Wish you a happy marriage and all the best!

Sowmya.

Comment

Wife

To bring your wife to the US as an F-2 your school must first add her to your F-1 as a dependent then she must go to the embassy with the I-20's for both the F-1 and F-2, marriage license, financial documents and all other docuements required by the embassy.

Comment

Want to bring my wife on F2

Thanks for your responses...I have few more queries

1. My visa has already expired. But I've valid I-20 till 2015. So when I go to India for marriage, i need to renew my visa. Do you suggest me (for F1 renewal) and my wife (for F2) going together for visa interviews?

2. If yes, what documents do I need to provide? Is my stipend from my Ph.D is enough as a proof of financial support? My wife will be showing some properties. So does both of our financial documents be seen together by the visa officer? Do I still need to show an additional funding from India even though I have full funding from my Ph.D?

Thanks in advance

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X