Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Green Card in 3 to 6 months?

Hello,

I recently arrived in the US (June 4, 2010) on an immigrant visa (IV category IW1, i.e. self-petitioning widow). The immigration officer told me that it would take 3 to 6 months for my green card to arrive and I could not travel outside the country before that. Given that I need to travel in approx 2 months to wrap up things in my home country, I'm extremely concerned. Here are my specific questions:

1. My understanding was that it takes approximately 30days for the green card to arrive, why would it take 3-6 months in my case? Are there some special conditions in my case, being a self-petitioning widow, that I am unaware of? Could the immigration officer be wrong?

2. As far as I understood, the immigrant visa, upon endorsement, serves as a temporary green card (I-551) which can be used to travel on. In my passport there is a stamp on my visa that says "admitted June 4,2010", wouldn't that be the endorsement? Or does it look different?

3. Where can I get information about my case status? The USCIS website has the case status tracking option, however my 'receipt number' is not being accepted and I'm thinking its because I went through the consular processing option. I tried calling but there was no info there either. Do I need to make an InfoPass appointment?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

What you wrote in #2 is correct.

You can definitely travel using that.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
    X