US pasport with OCI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US pasport with OCI

Just wondered if I need to submit original US passport with the application. I am under SFO jurisdiction.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Yes
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

Mailing US Passport with OCI application....

As per CGI Houston, and Indian Embassy at DC, there is no need to mail US passport along with the application. They need only photocopies of US passport. US passport needs to be presented at the counter personally while collecting the OCI card/ stamping will be done at that time. I have cross checked with several folks in Houston who have already received their OCI.

Also, read below the inscript from CGI Houston.

8. What documents have to be attached with the application?
      The following documents shall be enclosed with each application:
      (1) Four Passport size photographs. Two to be pasted on application(original and duplicate) and two stapled with the application
      (2) Proof of citizenship of applicant(s)
      (3) Evidence of self or parents or grand parents
      (a) being eligible to become a citizen of India at the time of commencement of the Constitution; or
      (b) belonging to a territory that became part of India after 15th August, 1947; or
      (c) being citizen of India on or after 26th January, 1950, these are :-

(i) Copy of the passport (or)
      (ii) Copy of the domicile certificate issued by the Competent authority (or)
      (iii) Any other proof (or)
      (iv) Affidavit
      (4) Evidence of relationship as parent/grand parent, if their Indian origin is claimed as basis for grant of OCI.
      (5) Proof of fee payment US$ 275/- for each applicant or equivalent in local currency [US$ 25/- for each PIO card holder(Adult) and US $ 145 for each PIO Card holder(Minor)]. Please attach a photocopy of money order, cashier's check or bank draft
      (6) PIO card holders must also submit a copy of their PIO card.
      (7) Mailing charges fee of $20/- to be sent in case applicant desires that the documents be sent back to him by post. This mailing fee of $20/- is applicable for one family and not for each individual

In case the applicant has not already paid the return mailing fee, a Cashier's cheque or a money or der for $20/- payable to "Consulate General of India, Houston" may be sent to return Passport and OCI card by Fedex.

In case the applicant wish to come to the Consulate personally to collect the OCI cards, the passports could be deposited at the counter on any working day between 9am and 12:30 pm and collected the same day betwee 4pm and 5 pm.

In essance, one need not mail the US Passport; instead visiting consulate is worth although it is painful. This process is quite similar in most of the centers, DC or Chicago and SF. I hope this helps?
      Last edited by CBUS; 06-12-2010, 11:30 AM. Reason: additional comments.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X