Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US address question while applying for OCI/PIO in India

Hello All,
    I will be traveling to India and will apply for OCI or PIO card while residing there. They ask you to provide 2 documents (Driver's License etc) as a proof of US address.

I would assume that if you applying in India, you don't have to provide proof of US address. Is it correct?

Thanks.

Correct. It will likely take far longer to process, however. My wife's cousin and her husband, who just took US citizenship, got their OCI from the DC Consulate in ~five weeks. My PIO from Houston took four weeks.

If you're on an extended visit, no big deal.

Comment

Thanks curtdfw for your prompt reply.

Yes, if I apply in the US, it is going to be faster. But I have to visit India right away. So I guess I can start the OCI process here in the US, get Entry visa and then visit India. Since I don't have to submit US passport at the time of applying OCI, I can come back to the US and get the OCI stamped on my passport.

Would this strategy work?

Comment

Originally posted by Jayraj View Post
        Thanks curtdfw for your prompt reply.

Yes, if I apply in the US, it is going to be faster. But I have to visit India right away. So I guess I can start the OCI process here in the US, get Entry visa and then visit India. Since I don't have to submit US passport at the time of applying OCI, I can come back to the US and get the OCI stamped on my passport.

Would this strategy work?
        Jayaraj, that trick should work well however please remember one thing. Once you are in India on a visa and you leave india and fly to USA for OCI, there is a limit of 2 months within which you cannot enter india (being on a visa). Correct thing would be to get a PIO while being in USA which takes hardly a week and then apply for OCI and go to india to take care of your personal matters. This protects you from immigration nightmares though you end up spending bit more money.

Comment

Originally posted by Newjersey_dude View Post
          Jayaraj, that trick should work well however please remember one thing. Once you are in India on a visa and you leave india and fly to USA for OCI, there is a limit of 2 months within which you cannot enter india (being on a visa). Correct thing would be to get a PIO while being in USA which takes hardly a week and then apply for OCI and go to india to take care of your personal matters. This protects you from immigration nightmares though you end up spending bit more money.
          The two-month issue would only apply on a Tourist visa, and the consulates are now issuing only Entry visas to people of Indian ancestry. As NJ_dude notes, some consulates are very quick about PIO turnaround, especially if you bring it by the consulate in person.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X