Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

green card through marriage - but her parents cannot know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• green card through marriage - but her parents cannot know?

I currently retain a J-1 RESEARCH SCHOLAR VISA and have been in the US for over 12 years between F-1s and J-1s through universities.

I have been seeing a girl for about 3 years now and her parents, for many reasons that are irrelevant to this discussion, do not approve of our relationship, specifically her father.

We were thinking of getting married to get my green card paperwork started since inevitably we were thinking of getting married within the next 2 years. Her biggest concern is that she DOES NOT want her parents to know that we got married because the consequences would be too intense for her to deal with (harassment, phone calls, etc...)

We love each other very much and I wouldn't be afraid of proving the legitimacy of our relationship as we have more than enough proof of that but did not want to involve her parents.

In a green card process, would they necessarily need to find out? Would they be contacted at any point during the process (I know possibly in a fraud interview they would but any other case) if we explained that she does not get along with the parents and they are not approving of this relationship and therefore possible marriage?

Any replies would be really appreciated.

Its rare

From what I have read, they only contact parents when they deem the marriage to be fraud. I have heard about USCIS officers visiting applicant's and parents home to see where they live how they live, etc.

Dont think they will find out like that but once you get a marriage license and get married, it becomes a public record so they could find out if they really want to keep a tab on their daughter.

Good Luck.

Comment

Please note that GC thru marriage is one that is scrutinized quite a bit due to the nature of Fraud etc...

Here are some things to note when you finally show up for you adjustment of status interview.

1. Detailed records to prove that you were married & how you met.
      2. Records to establish that you were in a household to gether... tax/bills/bank statment etc,etc.
      3. Obvious they could interview both separately and compare notes if both
      your answers match up.

If you have an issue with inlaws? Will you live together? If no the how do you establish #2. Think thru carefully.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply!

We will not live with in laws but do plan on living together. The problem presently is that we currently live about 45 min apart from each other since we attend different schools so that will only change once we graduate from our programs.

I guess we can open joint bank accounts and other minor things people in our situation do. I wonder if living apart can also raise a flag about fraudulent marriages. I am not so opposed of being put in a fraud list because our relationship is indeed true and honest. But the main concern is her parents knowing, which would forever ruin my chances of having a relationship with them.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X