Applied for OCI without Indian Passport and now i found it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Applied for OCI without Indian Passport and now i found it

Two weeks I applied for OCI at CGI-san francisco along with wife and a child. my wife has her indian passport, my child is us born and i could not find my passport since i became citizen 15 years ago. someone suggested i should still apply without my indian passport based on my indian birth certificate. well i did apply but now i found my old indian passport. Also i had shorten my name at time of naturalization so my indian passport has longer name. Please advise on What should i do?
    im thinking about getting surrender certificate, then getting a affidavite for change in name along with having it published in 2 news papers. Then send it to cgi-san francisco explaining the situation....

what do you guys think about this?

It is best to apply all over again with the passport you have found. Use the name as per the old passport.
    Immihelp Support
    No legal advice. Use at your own risk.

Visa and Greencard Tracker

Visitor Medical Insurance for your visiting relatives.

Comment

i dont understand what do you mean by Use the name as per the old passport?? then name in my old expired indian passport will not match name on my naturalization certificate, my driver's license and my us passport. i shortened my name when i became us citizen from ajaykumar to ajay. wont just simple change of name affidavit and surrender certificate resolve the issue???

on second thought..what are my chances of obtaining OCI with current application which i submitted without indian passport or surrender ceritficate (i submitted my indian birth certificate)

Comment

You can only surrender what you had. Therefore, when you surrender the Indian passport, in the surrender certificate form, use the old name.

When you apply for OCI, use the new name.
        Immihelp Support

Comment

Thank you. with that will i need to provide "affidavit for change in name" or is removing "kumar" from your name is common practice that they will disregard it??
          i contacted cgi-s.f. regarding this issue but i have not received any reply. i have called several times and left messages but still no call back. you still think applying all over again after obtaining surrender certificate is best thing to do? or will they accept my surrender certificate and indian passport if i send it to them now?

Comment

It is considered name change.

I said that apply for surrender certificate all over again, not applying for OCI all over again.
            Immihelp Support

Comment

thank you very much for your help. What is the process of submitting these documents? should i wait for them to aknowledge application first and hope they ask for addition documents or just send it in once i get surrender certificate. If i should just send it in without aknowledgement, what would be the best way to go about it??

Comment

Send everything now. /indian-citizenship-renunciation-certificate/
                Immihelp Support

Comment

So, cgi-sf returned all documents i submitted along with fee. only thing they wrote on part A of my application is send original indian app + copy... they have put couple of BLANK sticky notes on couple of pages of my wife's inidan pp copy and copy of her naturalization certificate.. i dont know what is that supposed to mean??? this idiots at cgi do not send any instruction on what to do next or what do they mean by those sticky notes. they never answer phone calls or reply to email. they are seriously pissing me off and i am about to postpone OCi process for good and willing to renew indian visa every 10 years. i've seen these lazy and uncooperative work in indian goverment offices in india but woul never think i would see it in u.s. i dont know why they returned my wife and daughter's application...i already sent in my found pp for renunciation..

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X