Query regarding work and student visa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Query regarding work and student visa

My US Visa on the passport has the University (and city) name stamped/imprinted on it. And its for 5 years (up till 2015)

So after the completion of my MS (in 2012), will I be allowed to stay in the US up till the time I get my H1B?
    I mean, can I stay in the US and find a job there itself between 2012 and 2015?

Consider the following 3 points while answering:
    During this time (post MS completion in 2012):
    1. I will NOT be studying (since I would have already completed my MS)
    2. My work visa could be under way. (or perhaps not - in case I do not get a job instantly)
    3. I will yet have the UNIVERSITY name stamped on the US visa on my passport (even though my course would be over by then)

Am not finding the answer to the above query.

P.S.: The country I am referring to is the US. And currently I will be travelling to the US for my masters i.e. F-1 visa.
    Last edited by gauravsatija; 07-27-2010, 04:00 PM.

Visa is only good for entering the US. At the port of entry the inspection officer determines the duration you can legally stay in the US. For students this is duration of status (D/S), so you are allowed to stay in the US only as long as you are a full time student or doing approved practical training. You must register full time at the school which issued you I-20 (except for summer vacation). For working after graduation, you must apply for optional practical training or have an employer apply for H1. Your school's officials can guide you through the process of obtaining OPT.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

My understanding

Ok.
      So what you're saying is that much before the completion of my MS I will have to apply for OPT, right?

This will ensure that I can stay in the US between the time my course is complete and I get the H1,right?

Comment

Kabkaba is absolutly right!

You need to be enrolled in school fo classes to be in status. or be on approved after-completion OPT to stay in US.

Comment

Originally posted by gauravsatija View Post
          Ok.
          So what you're saying is that much before the completion of my MS I will have to apply for OPT, right?

This will ensure that I can stay in the US between the time my course is complete and I get the H1,right?
          You seem to be planning things well ahead!!

Your school international office applies for OPT in the last semester after making sure that you will graduate in that semester. Just go with the flow!
          Check out H1 FAQs first!
          http://www.immihelp.com/visas/h1b/h1-visa-faq.html

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X