Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H1B marrying US Citizen - Marriage/Time Line/EAD/Interview

Hi,

I'm currently on H1B visa and its valid upto 2012. My fiancee got her US citizenship in July 2010. We are officially getting married in India in Dec 2010. My colleagues are suggesting that I should do a civil marriage now and apply for my GC so that it processes in the next 3 months. I have a couple of questions,

1. Since the inerviewers know Indians have elaborate marriages, will they be suspicious if I get a civil marriage?
    2. Will it be suspicious that we are getting married 3-4 weeks after my finacee became a citizen?
    3. How long does it take for the adjustment of status?
    4. Can I leave the country (in Dec 2010) while my I-130/I-485 in still under process?
    5. Do I need to apply for advance parole I-131 to travel outside US and return?
    6. Can I apply for I-765 when I apply for I-130/I-485 itself?

Thank you for your patience. On a separate note, should I just apply for all these once I get married in Dec and get back to the US? Will it be easier or am I just wasting precious time now?

Thank you!

If I was you, I would get married in India, come back, get a marriage license here go through the process.
    My two cents............

Comment

Thanks, but has anyone been in this situation before, and what have they done?

I don't want to waste the next 4 months, as if I know the timeslines for sure I can apply for adjustment of status and my fiancee can apply for my GC.
      Only concern is about leaving US in Dec for my official wedding.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X