Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cancellation of Indian Passport and application for OCI card

Dear Experts,

I am applying for my OCI card. I got my US Citizenship after June 1, 2010.
    I know that I apply for cancellation of my Indian passport and the OCI card at the same time according to various other threads.

But once my Indian passport is cancelled and is returned by mail to me along with the surrender certificate, will I need to send the surrender certificate to obtain my OCI card? Or can this be handled, internally by the consulate, when I apply for both?

Thank You!

Here are the steps.

1. Get a surrender certificate
    2. Apply for OCI and send a copy of surrender certificate

No, nothing is transfered internally. They are two different groups. And the OCI is processed in Delhi and sent back to your designated mission/consulate.

Comment

Thanks for your response.
      I did receive my canceled passport and Surrender Certificate. I initially sent my Indian passport for cancellation and my OCI application at the same time (all in 1 shipment). Since my OCI application would have already arrived at the consulate, would I still need to send them my surrender certificate in order to have my OCI application processed. Wouldn't my canceled passport already be in the system since both packages were sent at the same time?

Thanks in advance

Comment

Oci help

Dear aydivhere,

I am in the same situation. I have sent all at once along with the fee. Now, I have received my cancelled passport along with the Surrender certificate. I don't know what is the next step is. If I have to send the application again means what about the previous application (no) and the fees? Could anyone help me on this please? I need a help on this. If anyone knows the answer could you please also email me?

Thanks,
        [email protected]

Comment

Please send SC to OCI Cell

Please send your SC to the OCI cell. Your OCI application will be pending till they receive SC.

Please check the consulate website if they need a copy or original SC.

Also send a copy of the cancelled Indian Passport first 2 page and last 1 page self attested. Please check your consulate website for OCI application requirements.

Send a covering letter stating the OCI application reference number.

Good Luck.
          Last edited by nitishkatara; 10-22-2010, 11:58 AM.

Comment

Hi Nitish,

Thank you for the response Nitish. I will do that and update this forum if anything. By the way, please let me know if you know anyone who had a similar situation.

Thank you so much,
            Murugan.

Comment

Hi All,

I have sent my original surrender certificate, cancelled Indian passport copy along with my new US Passport(original) to Houston embassy on 11/13/2010. I haven't see any update on the site yet. If I do I will update here. Meanwhile, If anyone had this similar situation please let us know your experience.

Thanks in advance,
              Murugan.

Comment

Murugan,

I applied for my OCI card and cancelation of Indian passport at the same time. I received my canceled passport and surrender certificate in 2 weeks. My OCI status shows its granted and printed (although it took 2 months to grant the status). It would only make sense to send the canceled Indian passport to the consulate once they receive my printed OCI card.

Since I was in a hurry, I also applied for an entry visa. I've now received the entry visa but the consulate hasn't returned my original surrender certificate, so I'm confused if they've held it on purpose as they know that my OCI card is in process or they just forgot to send it back to me!

Thanks,

Comment

indian visa

hi igot my us citizenship, now i want to renounce the indian citizenship also have oci card
                  the question is that ok i surrender my passport and get surrender certificate and then apply for oci card . if i get oci card do i still have to apply for visa and pay visa fee or oci fee will work for me . pl calrify passport canellation fee +oci card fee that is it or +visa fee too

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X