Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 OPT marrying H1b

Hi all,

I am currently on F1 opt and working full time. I am getting married to an H1B visa holder by end of this year. We will be travelling to India for that. My concern is that I don't want to change my visa status (i.e would like to be on F1 visa). So, my questions are:
    1. Does this affect my visa status in anyway?
    2. While re-entry to US, do they ask the marital status? When I say yes, would they need the spouse name on my passport? Would there be any trouble at my re-entry?

Also, we are getting the marriage certificate from India. Is this recognized in USA?or do we have to apply for a separate marriage license here? What is the procedure?

Thanks for the help.

Not sure if this question belongs here. Can someone please direct me to the right thread if not this?Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by snehimm View Post
      Hi all,

I am currently on F1 opt and working full time. I am getting married to an H1B visa holder by end of this year. We will be travelling to India for that. My concern is that I don't want to change my visa status (i.e would like to be on F1 visa). So, my questions are:
      1. Does this affect my visa status in anyway?
      No effect.
      2. While re-entry to US, do they ask the marital status? When I say yes, would they need the spouse name on my passport? Would there be any trouble at my re-entry?
      There is no problem in answering the truth. For re-entry, make sure you have I-20 with travel signature, EAD, job letter and valid F1 Visa.
      Also, we are getting the marriage certificate from India. Is this recognized in USA?or do we have to apply for a separate marriage license here? What is the procedure?

No separate marriage certificate is needed.

Thanks for the help.
      Answers above.
      This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X