F1 expired and traveling on OPT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1 expired and traveling on OPT

My F1 visa expired in May 2010 and I have been working on OPT since then at my employers place. I am into biological research at cleveland clinic. I need to travel back to India for some emergency. I do have an EAD which is valid for another 8 months (May 2010), and I have a job until May 2010. I was wondering if its really safe to travel and what documents I should be taking along with me? Please do respond if anyone has any information. Thanks in advance

You will need to apply for and get F1 Visa again, just like before. There is a small risk involved since you may not be able to prove that you will come back after finishing your OPT.
    Also, with expired US Visa, you will need Transit Visa to travel through UK, Germany etc.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Expired F1 and valid OPT travel to India

I wanted to travel to India in March 2012 but my F1 visa was expired but i had a valid OPT. As this was urgent visit. I took the chance to travel and reapply for the F1 visa at Mumbai consulate.

My visa interview was on 14 March and my visa was refused and I was given a green sheet ( under Section 221g) i was asked to submit the documents listed on the sheet.

I submitted teh docs on 16 March. they give a case number after that which you should check everyday online.

My case number appeared on 2nd april 2012, submitted passport on 3rd April at VFS mumbai, got my passport with F1 visa stamped on 6th April 2012.

These were the most difficult days with so much uncertainity. This was a scary process but there is HOPE. If you are willing to take a chance and have to visit india. I think you can travel with expired F1 but valid OPT.

Comment

Urgent please reply with ur details

Hi there...

Now I am in same situation please can you email me your contact details dont mind. I am based in California....my name is Sam email: [email protected] Please Please do reply and help me out

Thanks,

Sam

Originally posted by postdocr View Post
        I wanted to travel to India in March 2012 but my F1 visa was expired but i had a valid OPT. As this was urgent visit. I took the chance to travel and reapply for the F1 visa at Mumbai consulate.

My visa interview was on 14 March and my visa was refused and I was given a green sheet ( under Section 221g) i was asked to submit the documents listed on the sheet.

I submitted teh docs on 16 March. they give a case number after that which you should check everyday online.

My case number appeared on 2nd april 2012, submitted passport on 3rd April at VFS mumbai, got my passport with F1 visa stamped on 6th April 2012.

These were the most difficult days with so much uncertainity. This was a scary process but there is HOPE. If you are willing to take a chance and have to visit india. I think you can travel with expired F1 but valid OPT.

Comment

Reaplying F1 Visa on OPT

I am in a same kind of situation and I have no choice other than going for visa interview. I am in biological science field and my 1st term opt expires in the month of feb 2013 and i am trying to visit india and go for visa interview in the month of dec 2012. What kind of supportive documents have you been prepared for interview and how the interview has gone through. Please reply to my message and could you please forward your mail id, so that i can get direct contact with you.

Originally posted by postdocr View Post

- - - Updated - - -

I am in a same kind of situation and I have no choice other than going for visa interview. I am in biological science field and my 1st term opt expires in the month of feb 2013 and i am trying to visit india and go for visa interview in the month of dec 2012. What kind of supportive documents have you been prepared for interview and how the interview has gone through. Please reply to my message and could you please forward your mail id, so that i can get direct contact with you.

Originally posted by IamboSS View Post
          Hi there...

Now I am in same situation please can you email me your contact details dont mind. I am based in California....my name is Sam email: [email protected] Please Please do reply and help me out

Thanks,

Sam

Comment

F1 Expired, 6 months of OPT remaining, have to travel India, Please help!

I'm in the USA on a 5 year student visa from India, which was expired in Dec'12. I'm working fulltime in the States for the past 2 years on OPT, whose expiry is due May'14. Now I have to visit India in Oct or Nov 2013. How can I travel and come back with an expired visa? If I go for a visa extension in India when I'm there, what are the chances of getting an extension, as my OPT is only 6 months left! Or are there any other ways of extending visa without myself attending the consulate? Please help.

Comment

You will have to apply for the Visa just like you did before. There is a chance of denial because you have completed your education and now on OPT.
              This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Need guidance

My F1 expired in July 2013 and my OPT expires in June 2014. In order to apply for another Master's do I need to reapply for another F1 visa or go to India for any stamping? (I don't have any personal need to travel outside of US in the next year or two on any purpose). Please guide me. Thanks!

Comment

F1 expired and still studying in US. Can F1 be renewed?

My fiance's F1 expired in Dec 2012. He is their in States with 5 yrs approved F1 visa since Dec 2007. He took admission for Masters in April 2012. Currently he is on CPT. He have to visit India for our marriage in Dec 2014.
                  If he come back to India in Dec 2014 will that create any problem in stamping? Can he extend/renew his F1 as he is still studying? What are the chances of getting approval for F1?
                  Please reply its really urgent.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                  X