H4 to F1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H4 to F1

I am on a H4 visa and currently in the US. I plan to enroll myself in college for higher education, and for the same I need to change my visa from H4 to F1. To get an F1 visa stamp (already having H4), will I have to go back o my home country (India). I read somewhere that F1 Visa stamp is issued only in one's home country. Please ket me know as I have to get enrolled in the coming winter quarter.

Visa is only required for entering the US. For staying in the US you need proper status, which is as per your I-94.
    You can apply for change of status from H4 to F1 from within the US itself using I-539 (Google for form and instructions). After that is approved, you can remain in the US as long as you are a full-time student. You will need to get admission and I-20 from the University first. This process can take 2-3 months. After this, whenever you leave the US and want to re-enter, you will need an F1 Visa from any of the US consulates.
    A quicker way is to go to home country, apply for F1 Visa and return in F1 status. But for F1 Visa application you will need to prove that you do not intend to settle down in the US, which has a risk of denial.
    Last edited by kabkaba; 10-08-2010, 06:02 PM.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for the detailed response.

So If i get my status changed in the US, and later go to India, then I will have to wait for 2-3 months in India, till my F1 gets approved, before I can re-enter US ?

Comment

Change of status within the US will take 2-3 months for the decision. You can study on H4 in the meanwhile.
        Visa takes the same time as your H4 Visa took, unless there is some administrative processing. Timeframes are unpredictable if that happens.
        This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X