Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F1: DS 160 Form questions

Hi all,
    I am a Kenyan grad student in the process of renewing my F1 visa. I have been in the US for the last six years and I plan to renew my visa in Canada.
    I am having problems answering some questions on the DS-160 form, I would appreciate any input.

1. Home address?
    Should I put my US home address or my Kenyan home address. I haven't been home for more than two years and I will be traveling to Canada for the visa interview.

2. Have you made specific travel plans?
    Again I am in the US and I will be traveling to Canada for the visa interview.

3. Have you ever been in the US?
    I have been in the US for the last six years, I have travelled to Canada about 5 times for weekend trips and I went home to Kenya for 3 weeks 2 years ago. How do I answer this question? Should I list every visit to Canada?

4. Additional Point of Contact Information.
    Should I list contacts in Kenya or the USA. Please note that I have been in the USA for the last 6 years and again I will be traveling to Canada for the interview.

First of all understand that Consulate in Canada may not be able to verify your residency and send you to Kenya anyway. Be prepared for that.

Whenever you leave the US and apply for a Visa, you must answer all questions by putting yourself as outside the US. On F1 student Visa, all your stay in the US is temporary. You must maintain a permanent residence in your home country.

Originally posted by benjyke View Post
    Hi all,
    I am a Kenyan grad student in the process of renewing my F1 visa. I have been in the US for the last six years and I plan to renew my visa in Canada.
    I am having problems answering some questions on the DS-160 form, I would appreciate any input.

1. Home address?
    Should I put my US home address or my Kenyan home address. I haven't been home for more than two years and I will be traveling to Canada for the visa interview.
    Kenya
    Yes. Planned date of return to the US.
    I have been in the US for the last six years, I have travelled to Canada about 5 times for weekend trips and I went home to Kenya for 3 weeks 2 years ago. How do I answer this question? Should I list every visit to Canada?
    List all dates you entered the US, starting with the latest.
    Should I list contacts in Kenya or the USA. Please note that I have been in the USA for the last 6 years and again I will be traveling to Canada for the interview.
    Contacts in Kenya or Canada.
    This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Thanks for the response.

Comment

Similar situation

Hi,
        I am currently living in the US and have lived here for the last 7 years. I am an undergrad student in the US and I am trying to change my visa status from a H4 to an F1. I am from India but I am going to Mexico to chnge my visa. I was wondering how your visa interview/appointment? Were you succesfull in renewing you visa? What kinds of questions were you asked? Do you have an suggestions/ advice you could give me. Thank you.

Hi all,

1. Home address?

Comment

Similar situation

Hi,
          I am an undergradute student in the US and i have lived in the US for the last 7 years hence completed my high school diploma in the US. I am trying to change my visa status from H4 to F1 in Mexico city but I'm a citizen of India. I was wondering how your visa interview/appointment went? Were you successful in renewing your F1 visa in Canada? Do you have any suggestions and advice for me (since I am also applying for my visa in a country not of orgin)? Thank you.

Hi all,

1. Home address?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X