Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Of Attorney(POA) attestation, Washington DC Indian Embassy

Hello All,

I'm posting here the process of Power Of Attorney (POA) done at Indian Embassy, Washington DC. I visited the embassy in-person to get it attested. In perfect world you should receive the POA signed/stamped by evening(same day), but in ideal world this is not the case. I had to go next day to collect it

1. Filled Miscellaneous Service Form, fix photograph.
    2. Blank Copy of the Miscellaneous Service Form. (Incase you filled in wrong, it is always good to carry an extra copy)
    3. Original Power of Attorney with photograph. (Get 2 Witness signature on it)
    4. Original Passport.
    5. Photocopy of 1st five pages, last 2 pages and all pages having visa stamps or any other related stamps.(No need to notarized if you are sending via mail, since you are sending original passport along it)
    6. Copy of Work Permit (H1B, Labor, EAD.....*** B1/B2 are NOT ALLOWED ***)
    7. Copy of Residential Proof(Driver License, Electrcity Bill, Lease Agreement...)
    8. Copy of POA.(They will keep this copy)

NOTE:
    • If you are sending via mail, make sure all the photocopies are notarized.
    • Indian Embassy Charges - $20 per signature.
    • DON'T SIGN ON ANY OF THE DOCUMENT, YOU HAVE TO SIGN IN FRONT OF THEM. (*** If you are sending via mail, than you need to get the original POA notarized***).
    • Last but not the least, ALWAYS carry extra copies, photos with you

Thanks!

Act on the information provided at your own risk.!

Addtional Information

Thank a ton for your insight. Especially the expected turn around time (I couldn't find anything on the official site on how many days does it take to get the attestation) and the point on taking extra copies .

Here is my addition to the thread to clarify a couple of other points based on my recent visit to the Embassy for getting POAs attested.
    FYI. I had to get two separate POA documents attested and luckily I was able to get the documents back the same day I submitted them.

* You only need to fill one application (even if you need multiple documented attested)
    * You have to affix a photo on both the original POA document that you want to get attested and the embassy copy that they will keep for their records.
    * The above rule also applies for your signature and the witnesses' signature.
    * Remember you have to get 2 witnesses to sign , put in their full name and address. This can take quite a bit of time. In my case this means each witness had to do this 4 times (2 originals + 2 copies). So remember to get your volunteers before you reach the submission booth.
    * Please carry your original passport and be prepared to hand it over to the consulate officer. Yes you have to submit your ORIGINAL passport with the rest of the documents.
    There were two other guys whose trip was a waste as one of then didnt carry the original and the other was not able to hand it over as he needed the passport in the afternoon.
    * You dont need to to fill sections 2,3,4 on the form for POA.

Other useful information/ Advice
    * All consular services are handle by the Consular Wing @ 2536 Massachusetts Av.
    * Submissions can only be made between 9:30 AM and 12:30 PM. Please try and reach before 11:30 (unlike me )
    * There is no parking near the embassy. Nearest Parking lot is a 0.7 mile walk away Laz Parking @ 2001 S Street NW ($15 max/day)
    * In case you didnt know already, You do need to collect a ticket, submissions are accepted FCFS based on the tickets. Thank god for that
    * Please carry extra copies of photos, forms & the documents and of course a pen. Better safe than sorry.
    * I always recommend filling in a form like you were filling in the original, proof reading it and then using that as the source for your actual form.
    * Carry exact change and may be a little extra to a fellow plastic junkie who may not
    * If you are lucky and are able to collect the documents the same day like I was, it does present a different kind of a problem. What do you do between 12:30 and 4:30. Sorry you cant wait it out in the consulate as no one is allowed to stay at the consulate after 12:30 and the consulate is not opened until 4:30 PM. There are no restaurants/shops nearby. I carried a book and a movie and used the stairs of the embassy as my lounge.
    Generally folks start arriving by 3:30 and 4:00 when you can commence the ritualistic bitching of all things (starting with the embassy and its services). By the way, it continues to amuse me how each of them went down the steps to check for themselves that the consulate was actually closed although me and all their predecessors were sitting on the stairs waiting/bitching.

Comment

a few questions

Thanks for the helpful info.. i plan to take the power of attorney and apply in person at the consulate in DC. i had a few questions:
      1. Is the power of attorney document needed to be on a stamp paper or the plain paper?
      2. For the 2 witnesses, do they also have to be present and sign at the counter? or can i take the signatures on the POA ahead of time and then only put my signature at the counter?
      3. Since I plan to apply in person, do i need any documents notarized?
      4. Do you know if i should take a general power of attorney or the special power of attorney for purchasing a flat in India? I'm giving the power of attorney to my parents.

any help based on your experiences is highly appreciated.
      thanks..

pappusheth

Comment

Hi

I'm also in the same situation. I'm applying for a NRI home loan in India and want to give power of attorney to my father to submit the documents to the bank and avail the loan amounts in my absence. The bank's lawyer sent me the power of attorney document in stamp paper to be attested at the Indian embassy in Washington DC.

My question is:

1. Will they attest POA in stamp paper? Or do I need to transfer the contents to a plain paper?
        2. I read the following in the SF Indian embassy website. I don't know if the same rule applies to DC consulate.

The Power of Attorney to be attested by the Consulate should be typed on a plain paper and not on a Stamp Paper from India. The Consulate does not provide any Stamp Paper.

If you are obliged to execute the Power of Attorney on a Stamp Paper from India, then please follow the ‘Apostille’ Convention. Once the ‘Apostille’ sticker is affixed to the Power of Attorney, the Consulate is not required to authenticate again the Power of Attorney.

Comment

Originally posted by pappusheth View Post
          Thanks for the helpful info.. i plan to take the power of attorney and apply in person at the consulate in DC. i had a few questions:
          1. Is the power of attorney document needed to be on a stamp paper or the plain paper?
          2. For the 2 witnesses, do they also have to be present and sign at the counter? or can i take the signatures on the POA ahead of time and then only put my signature at the counter?
          4. Do you know if i should take a general power of attorney or the special power of attorney for purchasing a flat in India? I'm giving the power of attorney to my parents.

thanks..

pappusheth

pappusheth,
          can you advise if you were able to get your POA done? and I have the same questions you had.
          did oyu have to take the 2 witnesseses to consulate? and did oyu get the POA copy noterized?

Comment

Two POA Attested by me at New York Embassy

Originally posted by aboppana View Post
            pappusheth,
            can you advise if you were able to get your POA done? and I have the same questions you had.
            did oyu have to take the 2 witnesseses to consulate? and did oyu get the POA copy noterized?
            I was able to get the POA Attested in Embassy at New York Office.
            I took two witnesses at Embassy itself
            I had my Passport copy ready, But they did not ask that also.
            I had my US Residency Proof, Driving License and Credit card Statement. They did not ask that too.

I had applied two POA to be attested and both were attested. I submitted them at 9:30 in the Morning and got back the document by 1 PM from the office.

It was a very smooth process.

Comment

Originally posted by kaleelahamed View Post
              I had my US Residency Proof, Driving License and Credit card Statement. They did not ask that too.

I had applied two POA to be attested and both were attested. I submitted them at 9:30 in the Morning and got back the document by 1 PM from the office.

Hi Kaleelahamed:
              1) Should the witnesses be US residents only (like any H1B holder) or they have to be US Citizens only?

Hi All, can you please answer:
              1) Is the fee of $20 per attestation per signature applicable individually for each page of the POA document (i.e. if I have 5 page document with 2 executants then 5*2*$20 = $200?) Executant means I and my husband plan to give POA to Father.
              2) Is it mandatory to leave blank space of top of each page of POA?
              3) do we need to leave blank space on top of the page or in left-hand-side margin for signature attestation?
              4) If we do not take witnesses with us to the embassy, then can we get their signature in front of Notary, and then carry the POA to embassy/consulate? In this case only the witnesses should sign the document and we have to leave executant signature space blank, right?
              5) Does anyone have format for POA for processing of Deed of Sale with Builder?

Thanks in advance for all help!

Comment

POA attestation at Indian Embassy

Originally posted by pappusheth View Post

thanks..

pappusheth
                Hi,
                Did you get POA attested?
                I'm also in same situation now. I have few questions to for which i need help:
                I have total 4 POA docs , 2 written in English and 2 in Regional language. I'm planning to go to Embassy @ Chicago by self. My concerns are:
                1) Should the Witnesses have to be from USA on POA doc ? If so how should i plan if i can't take them to the Consulate? Can one person be spouse among witnesses?
                2)Should i take these witnesses to the Public notary? or can i take their signatures along with name and address filled before going to Notary?

Any suggestion/advice please!
                Thanking in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by kaleelahamed View Post

Hi,
                  Can you please help ....

I have total 4 POA docs , 2 written in English and 2 in Regional language. Each POA has two places for Witnesses.
                  I'm planning to go to Embassy @ Chicago by self. My concerns are:
                  1) Should the Witnesses have to be from USA on POA doc ? If so how should i plan if i can't take them to the Consulate? Can one person be spouse among witnesses?
                  2)Should i take these witnesses to the Public notary? or can i take their signatures along with name and address filled before going to Notary?

Any suggestions would be great help to me,
                  Thanks.

Any suggestion/advice please!
                  Thanking in advance.

Comment

Could someone please clarify these for me? I want to execute Special Power of Attorney in favor of my sister living in India, to take control of a property (house) in India.

1) Do I have to take the witnesses along with me to the consulate, or can I have them sign the document in front of notary and take it alone to the consulate?

2) Should the witnesses be US citizens or can they be Indian citizens residing in US on work visa?

3) Can the witnesses be from the same household? I am sharing an apartment with a couple of colleagues and both of them are here on a work visa

Comment

Regarding getting POA from spouse who is now an Amercian Citizen

Need Help.
                      My wife has renounced her Indian passport in 2014 and currently is an American citizen. Will the Washington, DC Indian Embassy process the application of the request to give power of attorney to me (holding an Indian passport), to take care of her rental apartment in India?
                      Thank you
                      Joseph.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                      X