Stem opt extension pending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi san4u28,
    Where did you get the information that you can work until 180 days while application is pending? Please post that link.

Comment

Travelling while stem-OPT application is pending

Hi Guys, Please please help me here, I really need your support as I see this is the right place. I would like to explain my situation -
      I am on OPT & my OPT expires on 1st FEB-2011. I have the valid EAD till 1st FEB-2011. I have not applied for the Extension(17-months OPT) yet considering some suggestions saying "you cannot travel on pending application status". I have two options here should I apply for OPT extension & can come back safely while on pending application & I-765 receipt??I can travel for a week & come back & then apply for an extension in that case there wont be any pending, but only 25- days will be left before my OPT ends???

Please please post your suggestions on it. I would really appreciate it.

Thanks in Advance
      HSB

Comment

Hey...The STEM OPT extension takes close to 2-3 months, so I would suggest you file for it ASAP.

If you want to travel now (and its unavoidable) you can do that on your current OPT (as long as its valid - i.e you need to be back before 1st Feb) and you have your employer letter, in case they say your EAD is expiring you can always show your Receipt and say that its in process.

Hope that helps!!!

Comment

@pranav_garg - I would not take that risk.

Comment

Similar situation

Originally posted by pranav_garg View Post
            I have also filed for my OPT STEM extension in mid of October in the Vermont center and it's still showing as pending.

I was wondering whether it's feasible to go and come back from India given that I have yet not received my EAD card yet. I talked to my ISSO people and they told me as long as I have the I797 receipt notice it should be fine.
            Do you guys have any idea whether it's advisable or somebody did encountered an issue?

Thanks
            I'm also planning to travel to India and returning a couple of days before my current EAD expires. Just trying to assess all risks before finalizing travel plan. Did you finally go ahead with your travel plans with the STEM OPT extension pending? Did you have any trouble during reentry?

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
            X