Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renew Indian Passport more than an year before Expiration

Hi folks,
    I'm new to this site, google search took me here when I was looking for passport renewal questions. Hope someone can answer this question and help me.

My passport expires after 18 more months, but I need to get a new one since I'm going for Visa stamping shortly and US Authorities wouldn't issue Visa/i94 beyond Passport Expiry date! I will lose at least 10 months of stay in USA if I can't renew my passport before I go for stamping.

From Indian Consulate website, I see that passports can be renewed when there is ONLY 1 year left for expiration (so if this is the case I can't renew it now, but only after 6 more months, but that would be after my L1 Visa stamping!). Does anyone know how to handle this situation? Would a cover letter to Consular General, explaining my situation, work? Has anyone experienced this situation in the past? Appreciate any help.

Thanks
    Safuvan

Visa will be issued till the date of your I797 or approval notice. I-94 will be issues based on that as well unless your travel is within 6 months of passport expiry. Looks like you have gotten some wrong information. Your stay can always be extended even if you get an I-94 based on passport expiration at a later date.

No reason to investigate the possibility of a renewal right now. You can renew in 6-8 months and if you travel after that, your visa on old passport is still valid. You can stop worrying over such matters.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks.. One of my colleague was given less i94, that's why I was concerned. After reading your reply, I understand his Passport was set to expire in less than 6 months. That's not the case with me and I should be fine. Thanks again

Comment

No that is not true.I just entered US my passport expires next year in july, my visa was valid till 2013, still they marked on my passport and I-94 that my visa expires on july 25 my passport expiry date

Comment

Originally posted by satyam2010 View Post
          No that is not true.I just entered US my passport expires next year in july, my visa was valid till 2013, still they marked on my passport and I-94 that my visa expires on july 25 my passport expiry date
          You just got lucky

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

That's horrible! I don't know what can I do now, I am leaving to India in 2 weeks and do not have time to reniew my Passport.

Comment

H1B approved for 3 years but passport will expire in 14 months.

Hi,

I am also in same situation.

My passport will expire in 14 months, and I cannot renew it now as indian passport officials allow renewal only if the expiry date is less than 12 months.

I got my H1B approved (I797) for 3 years. I have to go for VISA interview in April 3rd week.

Following is the suggestion I got from attorney: "PLEASE NOTE: Your passport will expire in 2012. If your H-1B is approved for the full 3-years requested, you must also have more than 3 years on your passport. The Consulate and/or the officer at the airport may cut the validity of your H-1B visa and/or status based on your passport validity dates. Therefore, please renew your passport at this time. You should have a new passport in time for your visa appointment at the US Consulate. Once you receive your new passport, please upload a copy for our records."

I donot know what to do know and how to avoid the explained situation.

can some one please suggest me what to do now?

Comment

Originally posted by npulimam View Post
                Hi,

I am also in same situation.

My passport will expire in 14 months, and I cannot renew it now as indian passport officials allow renewal only if the expiry date is less than 12 months.

I got my H1B approved (I797) for 3 years. I have to go for VISA interview in April 3rd week.

Following is the suggestion I got from attorney: "PLEASE NOTE: Your passport will expire in 2012. If your H-1B is approved for the full 3-years requested, you must also have more than 3 years on your passport. The Consulate and/or the officer at the airport may cut the validity of your H-1B visa and/or status based on your passport validity dates. Therefore, please renew your passport at this time. You should have a new passport in time for your visa appointment at the US Consulate. Once you receive your new passport, please upload a copy for our records."

I donot know what to do know and how to avoid the explained situation.

can some one please suggest me what to do now?
                Your attorney needs more general knowledge from the street as s/he seens to be misinforming you.

American consulate requires that the passport be valid for at least 6 months when you go for stamping and NO, the visa will be issued as per the I797. The POE officer may issue the I94 based on passport expiration if the passport is valid for less than the time of I797.

Read

Comment

I need to add to my previous comment: I got my visa for full 2 years and I-94 also, even though my passport has only 1.2 years of validity.

American consulate requires that the passport be valid for at least 6 months when you go for stamping

Comment

H1B visa stamping:Passport valid for 1.2 more years. I797 approval for 3 more years.

Hello,

This seems more than a year old thread, but the problem is still being faced by many of us.

If you visit the new UStraveldocs web site. (the official web site for applying for Visa and appointments)

As per their NEW official web site ( www.ustraveldocs.com) section non immigrant visa -> How to apply -> Step 4), the applicant's passport should be valid for atleast 6 months beyond his intended duration of stay.

It was never mentioned so explicitly in the past. So it is very likely as of today, that the US consulate may not giove a Visa expiry date which is later than your passport expiry date.

I am facing similar problem. My passport is expiring 14 months from now and I have I797 approval for 3 years.

I don't think we can do much about this conflicting constraints from the US consular and the Indian consulates rule of renewing a passport only when the expiry is within 1 year. Other than take our chances and hope that we are lucky and get the full 3 year visa stamped, as it has happened in the past.

I would appreciate if some one has better insight/experience into resolving this.

Thanks,
                    Prakash

Originally posted by safusp View Post
                    I need to add to my previous comment: I got my visa for full 2 years and I-94 also, even though my passport has only 1.2 years of validity.

American consulate requires that the passport be valid for at least 6 months when you go for stamping

Comment

Originally posted by kpakya View Post
                      Hello,

This seems more than a year old thread, but the problem is still being faced by many of us.

If you visit the new UStraveldocs web site. (the official web site for applying for Visa and appointments)

As per their NEW official web site ( www.ustraveldocs.com) section non immigrant visa -> How to apply -> Step 4), the applicant's passport should be valid for atleast 6 months beyond his intended duration of stay.

It was never mentioned so explicitly in the past. So it is very likely as of today, that the US consulate may not giove a Visa expiry date which is later than your passport expiry date.

I am facing similar problem. My passport is expiring 14 months from now and I have I797 approval for 3 years.

I don't think we can do much about this conflicting constraints from the US consular and the Indian consulates rule of renewing a passport only when the expiry is within 1 year. Other than take our chances and hope that we are lucky and get the full 3 year visa stamped, as it has happened in the past.

I would appreciate if some one has better insight/experience into resolving this.

Thanks,
                      Prakash
                      Hey Prakash,

Can you please add more details about your experience, and if you faced any problems due to your passport expiring in 14 months. Did you get visa for full 3 years?

Thanks!

Comment

Follow-up

Prakash,

I am in the exact same situation. I'd really appreciate it if you could share your experience - if you had any issues and if there are any precautions I can take before hand? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by abhi1312 View Post
                          Prakash,

I am in the exact same situation. I'd really appreciate it if you could share your experience - if you had any issues and if there are any precautions I can take before hand? Thanks.

Please some one update me. Passport expiring on Dec 2018 and my MS course will start on Aug 18th 2016 and it is a 2 year course so it may complete around Aug 2018. The new rule says we need to have passport expiry date at least 6 months after intended end period of stay. India does not allow us to apply for a passport 1 year prior to expiry. There is a contradiction here. What do I do? Similar problem faced by the guys above me. Could you guys please share your experience.

Cheers

Comment

re issuance of passport before expiry date

Originally posted by pacific1992 View Post
                            Please some one update me. Passport expiring on Dec 2018 and my MS course will start on Aug 18th 2016 and it is a 2 year course so it may complete around Aug 2018. The new rule says we need to have passport expiry date at least 6 months after intended end period of stay. India does not allow us to apply for a passport 1 year prior to expiry. There is a contradiction here. What do I do? Similar problem faced by the guys above me. Could you guys please share your experience.

Cheers

I am facing a similar problem. Am so sad not to be able to join a wonderful job, because i am required to have 2 years validity on my passport and i have 14 months on it! I wish there was a solution.

Comment

Thank you very much

Originally posted by safusp View Post

Thank you very much safusp, your update after stamping really helped and appreciate it. Thanks Again

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
                              X