having the work permit and NSN after marriage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• having the work permit and NSN after marriage

I am now preparing to marry my fiancee who is a US citizen, and we are living together in California. I came to the USA as a visitor B1/B2 visa, and my visa is still valid. I would like to know how long it takes to get the work permit and social security number after getting married and starting the procedures of the visa adjustment.
    And, should I use a lawyer service or can we do that ourselves?
    Last edited by shalaby; 12-30-2010, 02:07 AM.

Originally posted by shalaby View Post
    I am now preparing to marry my fiancee who is a US citizen, and we are living together in California. I came to the USA as a visitor B1/B2 visa, and my visa is still valid. I would like to know how long it takes to get the work permit and national security number after getting married and starting the procedures of the visa adjustment.
    And, should I use a lawyer service or can we do that ourselves?
    Did you enter the US purely on a B1/B2 for work or holidays or did you have the intent of marrying your now fiance before coming here? If so you have committed fraud as far as the USCIS are concerned. If you planned on marrying you should have applied for a K1 visa and your USC filed a 129f petition on your behalf. If you apply for AOS now on your current visa after your marriage you will more than likely be given an interview in which case you will have to provide evidence of your stay in USA and why you came and show that you have permament residence in your home country. They do allow AOS after marriage on B1/B2 visas but I have heard that it is becoming tougher and more stringent . You can apply for your SSN after your marriage or now I think on your current visa and work permit will come when you apply for AOS as you will include that form I-765 (EAD) with your application. Takes 2-3 months if not longer depending on processing times.

Comment

No

Actually no. I applied for the visa to visit my girlfriend, and mentioned that to the embassy. after that i visited her through 3 months. and back home now. during my visit we agreed to get married. before the visa permission ended, i left the USA.
      Anyway, now we want to get married, and want to visit her again to do that.
      my question now is, when i apply for K1 visa, how long does it take to get fiance visa? and after I go, how long does it take to have the permission to work and have the national security number?
      I have a B1/B2 visa for 5-years and still valid. My question is, If i have fiance visa, will it cancel the B1/B2 visa?
      Last edited by shalaby; 12-26-2010, 06:30 PM.

Comment

Actually no. I applied for the visa to visit my girlfriend, and mentioned that to the embassy. after that i visited her through 3 months. and back home now. during my visit we agreed to get married. before the visa permission ended, i left the USA.
        Anyway, now we want to get married, and want to visit her again to do that.
        my question now is, when i apply for K1 visa, how long does it take to get fiance visa? and after I go, how long does it take to have the permission to work and have the national security number?
        I have a B1/B2 visa for 5-years and still valid. My question is, If i have fiance visa, will it cancel the B1/B2 visa?
        Ok what you need to do now is for your fiancee (USCitizen) to apply for a 129f petition so that you can come back to the US to marry her. This takes 5-6 months sometimes longer depending on countries and for no rhyme or reason some take longer than others. Your K1 visa is given in your country? which is? at your US embassy/consulate if approved. You have to prove that you have met at least once in the last 2 years and that you will marry within 90 days of entering the US. Your K1 visa does not cancel your B1/B2 visa. Your K1 visa is good for one visit only and that is to get married in 90 days before your I-94 expires. You can apply for SSN after you married or have been in the country 2-3 weeks which is recommended to make sure you are in the system and you cant work till you have applied for AOS (adjustment of status) after marriage and you apply for EAD card employment card. This can take 2-3 months. When you apply for EAD along with your AOS the fee is waivered for the EAD. If you wish to apply for it separately it will cost you. All the information you and your fiancee need is on USCIS web site. Hope this helps.
        If you choose to go back on B1/B2 visa to visit and marry you will then have to go back to your country and she apply for a spousal visa CR-1 which can take longer but the benefit of it is you receive Green card within weeks of arrival and can work.
        Last edited by barbarajlw; 12-27-2010, 09:17 PM.

Comment

thank you

Thank you very much for your concern.
          Which one takes shortest period.
          1) applying for a Fiance visa K1
          2)travelling with B1/B2 visa and get married there, and applying for AOS.
          3) travelling with B1/B2 visa , get married, back home, then spouse visa.
          and I would like to travel as soon as possible and start legal working.

Which one takes the shortest time? and which one costs less?
          Last question.
          as mentioned, I have a B1/B2 visa for 5 years, used it once, at the airport (USA) they limited my stay (only 3 month) and I traveled back home before the expiration of 3 months.
          the question is, is there a specific time I have to be out of the USA in order to permit me in again? (I came 3 days ago) and I want to go back as soon as possible.

Thank you
          Last edited by shalaby; 12-28-2010, 12:47 AM.

Comment

Thank you very much for your concern.
            Which one takes shortest period.
            1) applying for a Fiance visa K1
            2)travelling with B1/B2 visa and get married there, and applying for AOS.
            3) travelling with B1/B2 visa , get married, back home, then spouse visa.
            and I would like to travel as soon as possible and start legal working.

Which one takes the shortest time? and which one costs less?
            Last question.
            as mentioned, I have a B1/B2 visa for 5 years, used it once, at the airport (USA) they limited my stay (only 3 month) and I traveled back home before the expiration of 3 months.
            the question is, is there a specific time I have to be out of the USA in order to permit me in again? (I came 3 days ago) and I want to go back as soon as possible.

Thank you
            Ok the K1 is expensive when you add it all up but the best way to go I think relatively easy and waiting time is roughly the same as CR-1 My problem is if you go back on B1/ B2 visa and knowing you are going to marry it is classed as fraud as you have intention of marrying a US citizen. Not sure what country you are from but I know Australia B2 visa was a 6 month stay, not sure why they only let you stay 3 months. You would not be able to return for 2-3 months I think it is , you just can't pop in and out of the US.

The spouse visa is cheaper and again you would marry and then have to leave and be apart till your case is approved. K1 application is the waiting is done first and then you go get married and can stay and apply for AOS. You need to read USCIS site for all the information. What is your home country?

Comment

ok, regarding my next visit, you may see this,
              How Often Can You Visit, and How Long Can You Stay on a US Tourist Visa? Learn the length and frequency of tourist visa validity.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X