Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My student visa story

Hi all,

Im Akshay and 18 years old.I live in New Delhi and heard about immihelp from one of my family friends.My visa story begins with the wish to pursue bachelors in Mechanical Engineering in the United States of America.I graduated out of high school in May 2010.I had planned to study in the USA and had applied to a bunch of universities.Got accepted to most of them and thought of pursuing my education at Michigan Technological University.I know it isnt the best university but consider me one of those persons who has to only run his father's already setup business after graduation and so I dont really die to attend Harvard or Stanford(lol).One reason to be considered is that I secured only about 65% in my high school exams so I cant get into a good Indian college (without paying a bribe).

I applied first time for an F-1 visa on 9th August,2010 at the US Embassy,New Delhi.I thought a visa wasn't going to be a pain(I didnt know all the 214(b) crap) so I happily set off to attend my interview.I had extremely good travel history(four indian passports bundled together with about 40 visas in total from about 25 countries, what makes me sad is I never got a US visa stamped before),enough funds reflecting in my father's bank account statement(about Rs.5 crores),A CA statement reflecting total immovable assets (about Rs.200 crores) and ofcourse my I-20,SEVIS fee payment and my current valid passport.My interview turn came after waiting for about two hours and I was called at Window 15.I wished the lady "Good Afternoon" and she replied back steadily.This is what happened:
    VO: Why have you chosen to go to MTU?
    Me: Because it best fits my academic profile and was the best option available to me.Also it has the best academic inclined enviroment out of all universities I got accepted to.
    VO: Why do you want to pursue Mech. Engg.?
    Me: Because I am interested in Science and particularly Physics so I chose to pursue a career in Mech. Engg.
    VO: I am sorry sir, but you do not qualify for a US visa today.
    Me: Why?
    VO: You do not overcome your intentions to immigrate.

She handed me that stupid booklet which didnt actually clearly specify much as I believe that the 214(b) is only a tantrum so that you cannot do anything legal against the embassy.I felt a little bit shattered and so within 10 days I applied to the UK,got my UK visa in another 10 days and flew off to the UK.

I came back for holidays in December,2010 and though I should apply one more time for a US visa. This time I thought of applying for a visa through a significantly MUCH BETTER university as when I had applied to two universities for Fall 2010, they had deferred my admission for Spring 2011 semester.The universites were Ohio State Univeristy and Arizona State University.I chose ASU as the engineering school was better there and it was ranked higher among lots of student testimonials.I scheduled an interview for 14th December,2010.This time my father applied my two younger sisters B1/B2 visa along with me so that he and my mom could also come along to the Embassy as both my sisters are under 18.We waited about 1 hour and finally our turn came.This is what happened during the interview,
    VO(to my father): Good Morning,Sir.What visa are you applying for?
    Dad: B1/B2 for my daughters and F1 for my son.
    VO(to my father): Sir,you already have a US visa?
    Dad: Yes I have been holding US visas for the past thirty years and my wife for the past twenty years.
    VO(to my father): Have you or your wife ever been to the United States?
    Dad: No.
    VO(to my father): You've never ever been to the United States?
    Dad: No,I planned to visit but somehow plans used to get cancelled due to some work.
    VO(to my father): What business do you do?
    Dad: Im a builder and I own a chain of hotels in India.
    VO(to my father): How much is your annual income?
    Dad: About 5-6 crores.
    VO(to my father): Can I see you and your wife's latest US visas?
    Dad: Sure ( and he handed over his and my mom's passport).

Now the VO started asking me questions,
    VO: What are you going to pursue?
    Me: Mechanical Engineering.
    VO: How many universites did you apply to?
    Me: MTU,ASU,OSU,NYU-Poly and Purdue.
    VO: How many did you get into?
    Me: All except Purdue.
    VO: Why did you choose ASU?
    Me: It is ranked higher than rest of the universities and has the best engg. school.
    VO: Why did you choose ASU over OSU?
    Me: It's engg school is ranked higher,plus both universites are in the same segment so there are only tiny differences between the both.
    VO: So you are saying that Purdue,MTU,OSU,ASU and NYU are all same segment universities?
    Me: I never got accepted in Purdue so I eliminated it,I had to make a choice and since ASU was better than OSU in my readings,I chose it.
    VO: Apart from the rankings tell me in nuts and bolts what will you do at university and after you complete bachelors?
    Me: Theoretical and practical study in Mechanical Engineering and then return back to India and do business with my father.
    VO: Your father is a hotelier and builder then why do you want to pursue Mech. Engg?
    Me: It is my own choice and passion and something which interests me.
    VO: Why did you go to study in London?
    Me: I couldnt wait for a US visa and UK was my backup plan.

The officers scans all the DS-160s once again and looking at my father says "Sir,Im approving your daugther's visas but still cannot approve your son's visa.There are too many belts around his university selection."

My interview had lasted 6 minutes.It's funny.I still dont know the exact reason for my rejection except for the 214(b) crap.I have so much to inherit here and can prove it through documents but still I dont understand why am I classified as an immigrant? I believe some of you here can help me out and suggest if there is a missing piece in the puzzle.

I have thought of applying one last time before flying back to the UK and my interview is on 14th January,2011.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Akshay

Sorry to hear about your multiple rejects. I think, based on my reading of your post, your attitude might be one of the reasons for a rejection. VOs want to have good candidates go to US and study there (but still have intentions to return back).

Couple of things that can improve your chances for a visa:

1. Ensure you have something concrete that establishes your passion for Mech rather than just the rankings. May be you have plans for a business in that segment with your dad, may be your dad's partner and friend has some options in the Mech sector...

2. As far as the choice of Universities go, use the weather in addition to rankings. AZ has tropical weather than IL or OH that is almost like India's weather.

3. Change your attitude and the way you respond to VOs. Take a scaled back approach than an aggressive approach. From your posts, it seems like you are giving the impressing that you don't give *%*% if they approve the visa or not and have back-up university where you are studying. If they ask about US univ, mention that the education system in US is superior or something to that effect.

4. Don't try to ride on the fact that your dad has a successful business. You need to say that your individual interests are in the field that you chose and your dad supports it in the form of expanding the business to new fields if needed based on what you have.

Good Luck!

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

Thanks for the reply brother.I tried to make a point the first time I went for the visa interview but the VO hardly gave me any time.My interview lasted only about 40 seconds.Also I know my attitude is kind of arrogant but believe me,during the interview(specially during the second one) I had been extremely calm.

I heard from a few people that after seeing two rejections, the VO hardly bothers to entertain people.Is that true?

What questions do you think should I expect this time when I go for my interview?

Thanks,
      Akshay

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X