Working on New H1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working on New H1

My spouse h1b is approved online yesterday and waiting for the document. I have a valid job and can start right away but my concerns are can i start working before i get SSN or should be working from the start date mentioned on I 797. If i start working now should my payroll for all the days before i get ssn should be accounted for. Please shed me some light regards to this scenario.

You should start working as of the effective date of the H1B petition. SSN is not required for working. However, SSN is required to generate pay slips. Your employer can hold your pay and pay you once you receive the SSN (Usually you will get it within 15 - 20 days).
    Not a legal advice. Use of this information is strictly at your own risk.

Comment

Even SSN is not required for getting paid. But you must have applied for it before you get paid.
      This is my opinion and not legal advice.

Comment

Hmm i was not aware of this until i saw this thread. Posting my query here as it my situation relates to. My h1 is approved first week of december and i started working from my approval date.I got my ssn end of december. But we thought we should not run payroll until i get ssn. So my employer was planning to include all of december pay in january. Now iam confused how to handle situation. I checked with my employer they are saying as the fiscal year ended, w2 are printed we cant do anything. Can some let me know how can i handle this situation so that my status not be effected.

Comment

As long as you worked and got paid you are fine.

Comment

So if they include my dec hours in jan or feb payroll is that fine. And do they need to enter them as backwages or just regular hours.

Comment

To be entered as back wages for Dec dates. Jan payslip should have date from Dec.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
              X