Social Security Card and the Employment Authorization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Social Security Card and the Employment Authorization

I took my wife to the Social Security office a couple of weeks ago. I showed them the marriage certificate and her employment authorization card. We got the new Social Security card today with her new married name, but it still says, "Valid for work only with DHS authorization". Is that normal? I thought that they would take that off after showing the employment authorization card.

Originally posted by BrianB View Post
    I took my wife to the Social Security office a couple of weeks ago. I showed them the marriage certificate and her employment authorization card. We got the new Social Security card today with her new married name, but it still says, "Valid for work only with DHS authorization". Is that normal? I thought that they would take that off after showing the employment authorization card.
    No don't worry about that Brian and you can have that changed after if you want when she get's her GC. Mine has the same on it and is no big deal.

Comment

I called Social Security today. I was told that the Social Security card will say work authorization is needed until she becomes a citizen. So the card is technically right for now, but I assumed permanent residents are allowed to work. My wife's "conditional green card" should arrive any day now.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianB View Post
        I called Social Security today. I was told that the Social Security card will say work authorization is needed until she becomes a citizen. So the card is technically right for now, but I assumed permanent residents are allowed to work. My wife's "conditional green card" should arrive any day now.
        Permanent residents are allowed to work. And that's not the case you can have it removed if you want once she gets her GC. As I said it is no big deal. SS offices do get things screwed up a little and some of them don't know what they are on about.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X