Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OCI application returned, what to do next...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OCI application returned, what to do next...

I applied for my OCI application in June, 2010 to Indian Embassy in Houston, TX. I sent all the documents listed in the Part B of the application. After Indian Embassy sitting on it for 4-5 months, they have sent the application package back with reason "Check the latest advisory for OCI application and Fees". Now I am left wondering why they have returned my application other than the obvious reason that I had not canceled my Indian passport and that is one of the requirements in the latest advisory. Point to be noted here, it was not one of the requirements when I applied, not one of the requirements listed in my Part B of the OCI application. Since it was a gray area, I had stated in my application that I had planned on sending both my Indian and US passport after OCI application is approved.

I have gone ahead and canceled the Indian passport. I have got the cashier's check redone for the fees and mailing ($275 and $20). Now, I am wondering if I resend my original application to Indian Embassy, Houston with the updated documents (including the copy of caceled indian passport) or apply for OCI all over again on the wbesite?

Any help with this process (OCI nightmare) would be very help.

Thanks,
    --Jeet

My wife and sons application was also returned in January 2011 from CGI New York. The applications were mailed in November 2010. The reason given was that the father's Indian passport (mine) needs be cancelled. It already had a cancelled stamp before which was overlooked. I went ahead and got the surrender certificate for my cancelled Indian passport.

My wife has reapplied for her OCI since then. I would suggest that if you need an OCI then you register yourself on the OCI website and get a new registration number. Mail the documents as you did before but make sure that you include copies of your cancelled Indian passport and surrender certificate.

Comment

The advisory for OCI at HOUSTON CGI website (cgihouston.org) clearly says that the application should be sent to Travisa if it was sent back for any reason.

Here is the statement from the advisory document.

-------
      However, the applicants whose applications have been returned by the Consulate on account of any deficiency will have to resubmit the application to M/s Travisa (and not to Consulate General of India, Houston) after addressing the deficiencies.
      ------

Comment

You will have to apply the OCI through Travisa now since the OCI process has been outsourced . This means going to the Travisa website and following the OCI registration steps.

Thanks
        Vivek

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
        X