Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding observation in Indian passport to solve FNU problem ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding observation in Indian passport to solve FNU problem ...

Hi,

I am stuck in the same FNU problem in my US L2 visa.

I currently have a L2 dependent visa and in the visa my First Name is mentioned as FNU.I will be travelling to US shortly.

In my passport my names are:-

Surname :-
    Given Name : - Sharada Vishwanath

Where ideally Sharada is my first name and Vishwanath is my father's name.

In my L2 visa, the names are:-
    Surname: - Sharada Vishwanath
    Given Name: - FNU

Since there will be a problem in getting SSN and DL in US due to this FNU, so I thought of getting this corrected in India before leaving for US.

1.I heard that there is a work around for this by adding an observation in the passport.I had visited the passport office in Chennai,India for adding an observation in my passport regarding the name split.But the passport offcilals refused to do this and are saying to go for new passport.But I cannot got for a new passport now since this will add to the confusion.Have any of you added observation in the Indian passport in any of the passport offices in India?Please do let me know how should I convince the passport officials?

2.If I do not add any observation and travel to US with my existing visa where FNU is mentioned, then at the POE in US please do advise me as what details should I enter in the I-94 i.e. what should I enter in the Last name and First name in I-94?

Please do help and let let me know experiences that will be very useful to me.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by sharadav2884; 04-07-2011, 05:44 AM.

Please respond........

Please respond with your feedback...

Comment

1. Indian consulate in US will add the correction by splitting your name.

2. If you are able to fill in your I-94 with the correct first and last names and get past that hurdle, you might be able to do fine. Eventually, you have to get it corrected everywhere ASAP before you start creating FNU records in US for SSN, DL etc.

I am not a lawyer and you need to consult with one to validate any info posted on the forum and discuss your case specifics. H1b Question? Read the FAQ first.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
      X