Mixed Insurance Banners Health Insurance for Visitors to USA

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If I lose OPT can I apply for TN while waiting for the H1B?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I lose OPT can I apply for TN while waiting for the H1B?

I am a PhD candidate in computer science looking forward to graduate in May 2012. I have used close to a year of CPT so far, and I have only 10 weeks left.I am trying to go on a 12 week internship starting in June. This internship is critical to my graduation as I am going to work on a very important piece of my thesis.

However, If I use CPT I will lose the chance to have OPT and get a job before and H1B could be issued to me (in October 1 assuming that I can get it). If I graduate in May that would result in me waiting for 5 months if I were to apply for a job in the US.

It would be problematic to reduce the internship to less than 12 weeks (as they don't usually do it since I may not be able to finish the project) and postponing it until I can get it OPT authorization would affect my ability to have the results of this work published before I apply for jobs.

As a Mexican Citizen, I think I could work under a TN visa in the Computer Systems Analyst category until I can get an H1B. It seems like a safe bet, but I am afraid that I may be overlooking something. Is there a particular disadvantage in using TN instead of OPT to work while waiting for an H1B? Are any of my assumptions incorrect?

Any advice or suggestions would be very appreciated.
    Thanks

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
X