No announcement yet.

Parents travel to US when passport expires in less than 6 months...please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parents travel to US when passport expires in less than 6 months...please help

Hello

My parents are indian citizens holding a indian passport. They want to travel to US next month. My mothers passport is going to expire in october 2011 and she has already applied for passport renewal in the month of feburary.She did not get her new passport till now. We came to know that it is taking lots of time to get a new passport. She wishes to travel to US in june and go back in september. So my question is

1) Can she travel on her current passport to US and return to india 1 month before her passport expires?

2) Will she be questioned at the port of entry in US or India that the validity of the passport is less than 6 months?

3) Will my mother be questioned why she is travelling on her current passport when she has applied for a renewal?

I read in some forum that india has 6 month validity rule and that even though ur a indian citizen visiting US on visitor visa you will be questioned at the port of entry in india about having less than 6 months on the passport. IS that true?

kindly help

Thanks in advance

Regards
    Devi

You have said that your mother had applied for a new passport in which case her old passport would have been given back to her with a cancellation stamp. In that case she can not travel on a cancelled passport and she needs to wait for her new passport. She should carry both old and new passports when she comes to USA next as USA visitor visa will be in her old passport.
    This infromation I am able to provide to you based on my wife;s case only.

Comment

Thanks for the info rama...i found out that my mother got her passport back with a stamp on the first page saying "extended by the issue of fresh booklet" whereas she did not get her fresh booklet yet but her renewal application is still in process. There is no cancellation stamp.

1) Does any one have a idea what that stamp means?
      2) Will the stamp create a problem asking her where her fresh booklet is if she wants to come to US at port of entry or while going back to india?

Travel dates: June 2011 and return date Sept 2011, Passport expiry October 2011.

Please suggest

Thanks
      devi

Comment

Hi plz help

Originally posted by ramabalaji View Post
        you have said that your mother had applied for a new passport in which case her old passport would have been given back to her with a cancellation stamp. In that case she can not travel on a cancelled passport and she needs to wait for her new passport. She should carry both old and new passports when she comes to usa next as usa visitor visa will be in her old passport.
        This infromation i am able to provide to you based on my wife;s case only.
        in my case the old passport is not stamped with cancelletion but its written stamped "issued for renewal with aditional booklet" what can i do? I s it still valid to not to travel, what is ur wifes case ? Is it the same then what happened to ?

Comment

can you please share you experience about your mother, was she allowed to enter USA with passport expiring in sept 2011. I am in same situation my passport expires in oct 2011 and i plan to travel in august on b1/b2 visa.

Comment

{{modal[0].title}}

X

{{modal[0].content}}

{{promo.content}}

Working...
          X